Help me please.......

It's not that it hurts... it stopped hurting 3 days after my baby was born. It feels GOOD now and I hate it. I think it shouldn't feel so good. Is it normal for it to feel GOOD? I always thought it was supposed to hurt the whole time. I can't stand it. I want to stop breastfeeding because it's so weird to me. The only thing that's keeping me from quitting is my husband begging me to keep breastfeeding his baby. What can I do??? I don't WANT to stop.... but then I do.. if that makes sense.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 6:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is NOT supposed to hurt the whole time. It is supposed to be enjoyable. If it hurts, something is wrong. So you're doing great. There is nothing wrong with you or what you are feeling. Your breasts have probably always been a source of sexual pleasure for you, and so that's naturally the association you are making right now when nursing feels good. In time you'll get used to it and it will seem normal, and you won't make that association anymore. Give yourself time to adjust and to develop a new non-sexual association with your breasts. I remember having a period of time where it was weird (although I had pain and problems for the first 8 weeks), and that was hard because I have some body issues as a result of being molested when I was a kid. But I got over it after awhile, and I'm really glad I hung in there through that hard time.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Hoping to not say the wrong thing here...some women actually even orgasm during breastfeeding. So what you're feeling is perfectly normal! I can understand why you'd feel weirded out by it, but understand this is just your body's natural and usual response.  Perhaps you could try distracting yourself.  Pick up a good book, and read a few pages while you feed.

mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Your going through the hardest part. It will get better. I think he's doing good by persuading you to keep on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• About the pain. He's probally not latching on right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm sorry you're having such mixed feelings about this. I wish it had felt good for me. It hurt so bad the entire time I feed for 6 weeks and I just couldn't take it any longer. Pain is not good. It's good that you are able to feed your little one and not be in pain. If it's really getting to you, you could try pumping and bottle feeding so baby gets the same goodness but you don't have the odd feelings with the pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Your body releases oxytocin during breastfeeding, the "feel good" hormone. Perfectly normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• just to reinforce what some of the moms have already said, it's perfectly normal for it to feel good. it is abnormal for you to experience pain while nursing.

it sounds like you could really use some face to face support(other than you're hubby who is doing a great job by encouraging you, kudos to him...)
    anyway, visit llli.org and find your local le leche league.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• totally normal- please don't stop breastfeeding your son because of that.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 25, 2008