Where do I find more infomation on the eye ointment, Vitame K shot and Hept. B they give to newborns?

agoff

Asked by agoff at 1:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think any of them are necessary personally.

The Vit. K shot contains additives and is a lot of Vit. K for a small baby...it is given so that their blood with clot faster, and they won't bleed to death. The risks of this happening are about 1 in 10,000. The only way I would consider it is if the birth was traumatic(forceps/vacuum), or if I was planning to circumcise(which I would never do either).

The Hep B shot is totally unnecessary, unless you've been sleeping around or abusing drugs during pregnancy, and then you could pass it on to your child possibly. This is a disease that it mainly transmitted between people who are sexually promiscuous or those who use IV drugs. Mothers are routinely tested for Hep. B in the initial bloodwork anyways. Not needed!

The eye ointment is to prevent blindness, caused by certain STD's that could be passed on to baby during a vaginal birth. If you know you are free of these, you can also skip this.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Talk to your doctors office or the hospital you intend on delivering at, they usually give you that information when you register.
    Kylinasmommy

Answer by Kylinasmommy at 3:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• If you want to opt out of any of these, be sure to put in in your birthplan and also verbally inform ALL doctors/nurses. Chances are they won't read your birthplan, and they didn't ask me to sign any consent forms. If I didn't speak up, they would have gone ahead with it all.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2008