My 2 year old son is destorying or throwing away my husbands cigars, why do you think this is?

My husband recently picked up the bad habit of smoking cigars. My 2 year old son (almost 3) has started destroying the packs of cigars or throwing them away in the trash can. Do you think he is trying to tell daddy this is a bad "no no"? We have told him that they are bad and yucky. Is he telling daddy with these actions that daddy should stop? Since he can't use words to tell him?
Thanks

Angel_baby2

Asked by Angel_baby2 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no,he's telling you that you need to pick stuff like that up. if he puts them in his mouth and tries to eat it,he could get very sick. put them up high,where he can't get them.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• That probably has something to do with it, but so does plain curiosity. He wants to know what's so fascinating about them, so he tears them apart to figure it out.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• put them up where he can't reach them. and since you are telling him they are bad yea he probably is thinking if their bad i need to get rid of them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Why not just put the cigars in a locked box or cupboard? When my daughter was little I locked up all things that could be a potential problem, medications, cleaning supplies, etc..

I'm not going to judge your husband regarding the cigars. It's not illegal and so long as he's not exposing your baby, you or anybody else to his smoke, that's his deal. He should be smoking outside and not in view of your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• He's probably reacting to what you told him about being "bad and yucky." Another thought is that if your husband smoked them around your son, that he doesn't like the smell.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:54 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would say that's probably pretty accurate. He hears you say they are bad and yucky and figures if they are then daddy shouldn't be messing with them. He's trying to help him get rid of them.
    lilmama_0107

Answer by lilmama_0107 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• 1st off why can't your almost 3 yr old talk?? And second those types of things should be kept up out of your child's reach.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• kids like to tear stuff up. they want to see what's inside, how it works, what the deal is. it's him being a kid, and getting into stuff you should put up, not keep leaving around for him to get into over and over. if you put them where he can't get them, he'll find something else, hopefully something that won't make him sick if he puts it in his mouth while he's unattended long enough to destroy it.

dmarie2101

Answer by dmarie2101 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• He is probably telling you you need to pic kthem up because if he eats them they can make him VERY sick but I agree that the habit needs to go out the window! Just get rid of them all together!
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 8:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• lol the first thing that came to mind was when our daughter at 2 1/2 started opening and throwing away our condoms. Don't think she was trying to tell us it was time for a brother or sister. He is probably just entertained by it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2008