I need your opinion.

I am an at home child care provider. Last week, the mom of the boy I watched asked what my hours were the day after Thanksgiving. I said I wasn't sure that I'd let her know. That afternoon I put a note on his daily sheet that I wanted to close early that day, like 300pm. She did not mention her husband working overtime that day 0r anything. Today, almost a week later, she says "well Caleb won't be coming Friday cuz my husband was going to work ovetime but since I am shopping all day and he won't be here by 3 he is going to have to stay home with Caleb." Well, now I feel bad but she could stop shopping for a litle bit and pick up her kid since I will be shopping with mine, that way her husband can work over time. I think that I am in the right and that I will not discount that day cuz I offered to be open. What do you think?

maddismama

Asked by maddismama at 7:53 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think she was trying to put a guilt trip on you and it worked but you shouldn't let it bother you. You have a right to be closed just like any other business the day after. I do think you should discount the day if you are going to be closed anyway even though you said you weren't sure.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• By 3pm she has had plenty of time to do shopping, and as you said can stop at least to pick up her son. It was a choice between her and her dh that he take the day off and not get overtime so she can shop, You should have no guilt.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• She should have told you that she needed you to watch her child, since she didn't and you decided to close early that is her own fault. I agree with you that she could stop shopping for a little bit and come pick up her child...why not just bring him with her in the first place? I don't see why you would need to discount a day b/c you had planned on being closed, since you had planned on being closed then you really should get paid full price!
    lilmissJ

Answer by lilmissJ at 8:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I think that youre running a business and dont need to be guilted into anything. Just say ok and move on. You will run into things like this the more successful you get in your daycare and you cannot make exception for everyone or theyll take advantage of you. The hours and prices are what they are and I would just stick to it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The day after Thanksgiving is not a holiday so i think the pay is what you guys agreed on to begin with. You should be open if it was not in the contract that you take that day in particular off and she should have to pay you for that day if she decides not to bring the child.
    mandarose

Answer by mandarose at 8:40 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• In the future you could offer to discount if the child won't be there on the holiday, but you can also charge time and a half for certain days, like New Years eve, Christmas eve, and the day after Thanksgiving. Just let the parent know in advance that this is your policy, and let them know that the child has to be scheduled as off on the holiday at least a week in advance or they will be charged the regular rate. This way you can plan your holidays too. It will either discourage parents from leaving their kids on holidays (that they usually have off anyway) or make it worth your while.

In this case...because she is only shopping and didn't give enough notice, I would charge her the same way you would if the kid stayed home for another reason.

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You run a business. This is your job and your business. How you set your hours of operation and determine when early closings and holiday schedules will be is based on your business needs. It is important that you consider letting parents know a month in advance or more so that work, sitter, and plans can be made for child care. Other than being professional and giving parents notice about your hours and holiday schedule - no need to be responsible for their responisbility to plan and provide care for their child. On a different note: Shopping? Really? So I do understand taking some me time for a few hours and getting some things done, but wow. Ending that me time at 3 or even earlier doesn't sound unreasonable. Again, not your problem. She sounds like she isn't comfortable spending time with her child. Sad.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm thinking she probably doesn't want him with her when she's shopping b/c she's shopping for him? Plus, the stores will be very crowded. That said, though, you gave her ample notice. She could have said something well before this point if it wasn't going to work for her, so I don't see why you should feel bad. As for discounting that day...I don't know your normal hours, but sounds to me like you're only closing a couple of hours early, so why would you discount anyway? If you were closing the entire day, I'd say maybe, but for all the parents, not just her. Don't feel bad. You're right, she's wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with you. She could have asked if it was possible to get some extra time out of you to watch the little one instead of going on about over time. One: It's not your concern. You're concern is taking care of the child during the hours you guys have agreed upon. Two: She has other options. She could get a baby sitter and make arrangements, etc. Three: That was just rude of her to try to guilt you like that. My day care is closing at 3 on Wednesday. They let us know ahead of time and I make arragements. That's all there is to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• DO YOU HV A POLICY ON HOW MANY DAYS IN ADVANCE SHE HAS TO CANCEL? IF SO I THINIK YOU HV TO HONOR IT IF SHE WAS EARLY ENOUGH, ALTHOUGH I AGREE WITH YOU, IF SHE WAS REALLY WANTING HER HUBBY TO DO THE O/T SHE COULD TAKE THE TIME TO PICK HIM UP, IF THERE IS NO POLICY I SAY CHARGE HER, BUT U MIGHT NEED TO MAKE ONE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
    IMANGELEYEZ

Answer by IMANGELEYEZ at 1:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008