How can I get him interested in the Potty?

My son turned 2 in Sept. I've been trying to get him interested in going to the potty. I've tried putting him on the potty when we get up, and when he's done eating. He use to say uh-oh when he soiled his diaper. I watch for his little signs, and put him on the potty, but he doesn't go, then when I put his pull up on him, he goes. I don't know what to do.

Momma_Neko

Asked by Momma_Neko at 12:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my boys were little I put cheerios in the toilet, the loved shooting them, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I had my son potty trained before he was 3 and what I did was buy a white poster board and some stickers. I hung the poster board up behind his potty in the bathroom and each time he used the potty he got a sticker. At first I would have to ask if he needed to potty and I would tell him if he went then he would get a sticker, but if he didn't and just sat there he didn't get one, this prevented putting him on here and then him having an accident 5 min later. After a few days he would start telling me he needed to use the potty so he could get stickers. All kids are different but it's something you could try :) Good Luck!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i got my boys a potty chair for christmas. theyre only 18 months now but whenever i go to the bathroom i say "wanna go potty!?" and they run in and take turns sitting on their potty and they love it beacuse im always like DAWW YAYY and clap haha. and then one of my twins poitns to his diaper a lot when he pees so whenever he gives me a sign i take him in and let him sit on the potty with out a diaper.
    i think as long as you keep with it and stay consistant he will get interested. dont give up!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Are you taking him to the bathroom with you? is your SO? this a huge age for trying to do what the big people are doing. Keep talking about it but DONT make it a power struggle , i never had a kid that wasnt potty trained around 3.

There is something about 3 where you can say things like. We COULD do __________ but you have to use the potty to go there , it is for big kids. (Preschool was our motivator). You make it completely their choice. I think it works . I have potty trained 6 kids all completely trained between 2 and 3 ... no bed wetting (as a rule ... there were a very few accidents...very few), And very few accidents in general. I honestly dont sweat it until 3, it isnt a competition or a race it is a skill that needs to be almost self taught with encouragement.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• take him into the bathroom every time you and or your SO go in to go and have him sit on the potty chair with his pants up or down and let him get used to it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I am divorced so no SO, he only will go into the bathroom with me, but he won't stay on the potty when I sit him down. He hops back up and trys to get into things.
    Momma_Neko

Comment by Momma_Neko (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2011