If you had a VERY long labor (like days long)... (Yeah, this is long for the "disclaimer" because someone is going to attack, I'm sure lol)

When people talk about how they were in labor FOREVER and they were in labor like 8 hours or something, do you ever laugh to yourself and think something like, "How would you have survived if you were in labor as long as me and some of the other women who labored for days?" because they are making such a big deal out of the fact that they were in labor for SOOOO LOOONG?

***I'm NOT saying that a person who has a shorter labor can not have a difficult labor! I'm not talking about the difficulty of labor, just the amount of TIME labor lasted, regardless of difficulty. This is ONLY concerning people who complain because they were in labor for like 4 hours, or whatever, NOT factoring in the pain or anything else, JUST the TIME. (Figured I'd throw that little "disclaimer" in because I'm sure someone is going to bitch and say that I'm bashing people when I'm not lol.) ***

My friend and I were talking about this the other day because she was only in labor 4 hours and I was in labor for about 68 and she was talking about how thankful she was that her labor was short and how a friend of hers had complained to her about being in labor for 2 hours.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• 68 hours!! OMG! Shoot me!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• When people ask how long I was in labor, I always hesitate to tell them. I feel like I'm cheating when I tell them. With my first, it was about 10 hours. I was only in pain for the last 2 or so, and I pushed 4 times. With my second, it was a full 24 hours, but the first 9 hours I rotated between trying to nap and doing laundry. The next 6 hours were spent walking laps in the hospital trying to get things going quicker. I spent about 3 hours in actual pain, and pushed 5 times.

Since they were so easy (I'm so sorry for the ladies who have it rough) I really don't feel right saying "24 hours", even if it's *technically* true.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• @kathy..you took the gun right outta my mouth, girl.

dang..i don't think i've ever complained about my labor. i know it hurt at some point, but Point A to Point B was only about 6 hours..so i feel like i got off easy.
    it was the gallstones last summer THAT NEARLY KILLED ME!!! HOLY CRAP!! now that's some pain!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Well I can't talk because my labor was like 12 hours, and I only pushed for 45 minutes, and only about 4 of those hours were spent in any real pain. But I do know my Dr will not let me labor longer then 24 hours, and they start getting nervous at about 16. So by your standards I will never have a long or "forever" labor because I'm not allowed to under my Dr.'s supervision. If I've been in full on labor for 24 hours and nothings progressed she's doing a c-section. And I agree.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• my sister in law was in labor for four hours and pushed for 30 minutes with her first.
    i was in labor for uhhh ALL OF AUGUST i finally had a c section september 14 of 09.
    they kept giving me meds to put off the labor but i had contractions and pain and all of it for WEEEEKS
    and then people are always like YOU WERENT IN LABOR THAT LONG rahrahrah im like uhh were you there?
    I was in labor for weeks and was in the hospital everyday for the last 2 weeks of it getting medicen and being sent home. then i was in triage for 6 hours one day and the nurses were being rude to me and crap and telling me i was fine and i wouldgo home soon and crap and then the doctor came in and i was 8cm and i was in the OR 10 minutes later.
    so
    much
    pain.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Lol my Dfs bosses wife was only in labor for 45 minutes. I would she got off easy lol.
    Liblib430

Answer by Liblib430 at 1:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have a friend that was in labor for 36 hours then the baby got stuck and they had to do a c-section... But for me my labor only lasted about 5 hours and I am thankful for that!
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 2:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I was in labor for 3 days with my first.  I had no sympathy after that for anyone who birthed in a few hours and then complained about it.  Until I did it, lol.  My last 2 were only 5 hours of painful labor a piece.  And didn't hurt as bad.  I was more exhausted with my last 2 then I was with my first.  It gave me a different understanding, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I was in labor with my first baby for 26 hours
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My first baby was about 28 hours, I got sent home from the hospital when I went in the first time, after about 13 hours. When I went in the 2nd time I was 5cm dilated and they predicted it would still be another 12 hours or so, but I got an epidural and as soon as I got it my body relaxed and things moved quickly. I think if I hadn't have gotten the epidural it could have been days longer. My sister in law tried to have a homebirth. She was in labor for days and then stalled at 8 cm for 12 HOURS! I can't imagine that, my labor was long, but I only felt it up until 5 cm, it gets so progressively worse after that. She ended up delivering in the hospital, but the baby did end up coming on his own, with no intervention. Anyway, a friend on facebook just had a baby and she said the labor was 8 hours and the comments were all like "WOW! You did such a good job! That was sooooo long?" I thought WTH? Cont...
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 19, 2011