Do you ever wonder if your wrong?

I wonder how many people ever wonder if they are wrong. If you believe in a Deity do you every wonder if you believe in the wrong one? Or maybe there isn't one at all? If you are Atheist do you ever wonder if there really is something more out there?

joceangel

Asked by joceangel at 1:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, sure don't. Look at it this way; I believe in God. If I'm wrong, I have nothing to lose.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree with popzaroo. IF I am wrong, then so what. I've lived my life believing that there is something great after death, lived my life believing in doing good and believing that something higher is watching over me and protecting me. What harm can come from that? But no, I don't think I am wrong :-)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes. I've been wrong about many things, so I keep open the possibility that I could be wrong about this as well. I have strong opinions about many issues backed by personal experience and/or science, but I am always open to engaging in healthy debates.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 2:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I was just thinking about this very question recently and wondered what people would think if they found out that there was no god and all of this "faith" is a figment of a void/wishful thinking. Why do we have a need to believe in an external force? I don't think there is a right/wrong god but that there is a good god that may be referred by different names but possibly the same god. I do believe in spirits and believe they are proof of a god and a spiritual realm. I also wonder if the focus shouldn't be on faith in a god but faith in yourself.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree w/ the 1st 2 posters - I believe in God. If for some reason that ends up not being the case, then I've lost out on nothing but I don't believe either that I'm wrong.
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Nope, I'm fairly sure that I'm getting it right. And if I'm not, compost is ok with me.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No, never..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 8:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I don't worry about it too much. I think whatever path we travel, the most important thing is treating others with loving-kindness and compassion, and in doing so we can help ourself and others find happiness. Treating Nature with respect and care is important to me as well. My path is a non-theistic one (Naturalistic Pantheism, Buddhism, Taoism) , and NON-THEISM is 'relaxing in the ambiguity and uncertainty of the present moment without reaching for something to protect ourselves' (Pema Chodron quote on Buddhism). Pantheism allows me to define my beliefs in a 'positive' way--by what I DO believe rather than what I don't believe (but it's quite compatible with atheism, Humanism, etc), and it allows me to acknowledge things greater than myself without having to find supernatural ways to explain the Universe. I believe the Universe itself or forces of Nature are equivalent to our concept of God, CONT'D
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• cont'd

but do no believe in any personal, anthropomorphic, creator God.

Generally in life, yes, I do believe sometimes I might be wrong. It's possible I'm wrong and there is a personal God.
    I think if I'm wrong and there is a personal god or gods, they would be more likely to be one Supreme Being and other gods are just manifestations of that Supreme Being IMO. I think everything is interconnected, and gods are just different cultures' ways of understanding themselves and the world around them. I also think that if there were a personal god, he/she would think that our actions (how we treat ourselves, other living things, the earth, etc) are most important rather than simply believing anyway.

“It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.”~Ghandi
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'm open to the idea that there is no God - I believe there is, but I'm the kind who wouldn't be upset to be wrong because I would still be happy about living my life with values and virtues that matter to me - love, compassion, etc. If I am wrong about how many gods there are or the nature of God, I also don't really mind. If there are multiple gods I figure each would be left to deal with his/her own followers, in which case I'm fine. If I'm wrong about the nature of God, enough to where He would punish me for my being incorrect in my beliefs, He would be a God I wouldn't want to worship or be involved with anyway. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2011