Put your thinking caps on.. this is a tough one!!!

Should parents (of obese children) put their children on diets?

My opinion: I am completely torn. My children are not obese, so having never dealt with this expirience first hand it is hard for me to say. However childhood obesity is a big problem that creates even bigger problems for the children later down the road.
With that said, I think that if a child is obese, they should have more playtime (Activities) Sometimes tho, that does'nt help and the children actually NEED to be on a diet, BUT I think a food diet should be the VERY last resort.
As for children who are not obese, I think they should be able to eat what they want, when they want (Within reason of course) I have personally seen MANY cases of families where the parents tell their children "You can only have one of these now, and one before bed, and none of this or that between these amounts of time" and so on. This type of behavior causes children to sneak food, and gorge when they are alone, this is VERY unhealthy. but like I said it all has to be within reason.
There is too strict, and not strict enough... you have to find a happy medium and remember that every single persons body chemestry is completely different from anothers, so what is good for you, or for one child, might not be good for the next.

What do you think?

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Excluding the small population where the obesity is caused by medical reasons, i think the traditional "dieting" (i.e. restricting or depriving your food instake) is only going to make matters worse. I mean if 99% of adults have no willpower to diet, what makes one think children would be better at it? However, this is not to say you should give up on the idea of diet. Exercise alone generally is not going to help with shedding pounds, mostly is driven by food intake. When the child is obese, I think the ENTIRE family should get off their feet and help him/her exercise AND eat healthy. It should not be a one-person effort. It is simply not effective when everyone else is having pizza and you are asking the child to eat vegetable sticks.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Ohhh your right, this is a tough one.  What ages are you referring to?  Mine are still at the age where if I don't put it in the house, they can't "sneak" it.  So if one of them were to be obese from their diet I would be able to nip it in the booty and already have better eating habits established before they were at the age of sneaking food.  I can totally see your point about children sneaking food.  Maybe it should be a point to keep it out of the house period just for that purpose?  Mine have all been chunky when little and I chose to not deny them the "junk".  They've so far turned out to be pretty well rounded with their eating, thankfully.  They are allowed to eat whatever they want, whenever they want because of that. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• fat free and sugar free diet is definitely important when u hav to lose wt ,secondly physical activity should be increased,every one has different body metabolic rates ,once a child has gained extra pounds ,it should be controlled as early as possible, of course not over night! too much of strict ness can cause irritable behaviour, try to give the childs favorite once in awhile!
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I believe in feeding kids a healthy diet with treats occasionally, and plenty of physical activity. Every season my kids are in some kind of sport and they love it. We incorporate loads of fruits and vegetables and whole grains into our meals, and snacks are usually limited to healthier fare like Kashi granola bars, cereal, or fruits/veggies with peanut butter. My kids don't feel like they are missing out on anything though because if they want a piece of cake sometme, they can have it. I don't have obese kids though so I can not honestly know wht I would do in that situation because I have never been in it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I did'nt have a specific age group in mind when I asked this question, I was just wondering what everyones opinions where for all age groups. I LOVE all the answers so far, totally agree. Def, if someone in my house was on a diet we would all do it with them, I would NEVER under any circumstances serve dinner, and have one crappy diet meal for one person, while the rest of us eat something else, I that is just cruel!!! For sure!
    Mrs. Houston, I completely agree.. my son was a chunky monkey when he was a little baby, but he is two now, and as soon as he started walking his weight leveled out, he was never like Over weight but he was chunky, and so is my daughter, who is 7 mos. I think that every baby needs that "Baby fat" and when they get old enough to walk, it gets leveled.
    What scares me is the women who have (Usual)chunky babies and they think the babies are fat, and they try to cut back their intake..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have to totally agree with that.  If I had to redo one of my childrens diets we would all be redoing our diets.  That just seems so cruel to eat stuff infront of them that they wouldn't be able to have.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• "fat free and sugar free diet is definitely important when u have to lose wt"
    Children does need some fat to maintain good health, but these fats should come from sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, such as fish, nuts and vegetable oils. Cut way back on fast food, junk food, and sweets obviously. Adults who are dieting can do this, but chiodren shouldn't
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Other things might want to consider is have the whole family doing this, u know lead by example. Or make fruit readily aviable anmd put it on the table. Find "sweets" that taste good and be considered healthy. For example get some low-fat yogurt and freeze it, or get frozen fruit juice bars,even fig bars and, ginger snaps.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If this way doesn't seem to be working, take them to a doctor to make sure there is nothing wrong physically. Then see about a counsler. Certain foods some times have an effect in a section of the brain that gives the feeling of feeling better for a litle while. The the child feels guilty and mad at him/her self for being weak and there is the vicious cycle. Alot of adults havew this problem too/
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Rather than putting children on diets, the family should have a healthy makeover: less TV, family walks after dinner, family bike rides on weekends, water as the primary beverage. Get rid of all white/simple grains. Meals should be built around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2011