Associates in English/Literature?

Does anyone have one? How has it helped you in your career?

I'm planning to enroll in a community college and get my associates in english or literature. I hope to be a book editor some day...can anyone tell me their expierience?

Very much appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know this is not what your question is, but I just want to throw it out there for your information. If your goal is to just be a book editor, best of luck! If your goal is to make money in the process, you'll have a better return majoring in something like accounting or bookkeeping.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Education can go a long way if you know what to do with it. I've seen an associates get people pretty far but those were in more technical fields. I think an associates is a good stepping stone but why not go for the full bachelor's? The bachelors would be a better boost and especially with the English field. The editing jobs I've seen usually require a bachelor's degree. I definitely think you can do a bachelor's though.Once you get going, just don't stop.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Look at job listings for book editors; speak with hiring managers; have a couple of informational interviews with book editors in your area. You need to make sure that this is the right career path for you, and that you are on the correct educational track.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• An associate's degree in English is functionally useless. A publishing company is a professional environment, and by that, I mean that everyone there has at least a BA, if not an MA or MFA. Otherwise, it's like trying to work for an engineering firm when all you have is some CAD classes. It's simply not enough.

Go for the BA, if that's the field you truly want to work in.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 8:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2011