MY TWO YEAROLD WILL NOT EAT DINNER...SHE WILL EAT A COUPLE BITES AT BREAKFAST AND LUNCH. ANY IDEAS?

WORKINGMOM0608

Asked by WORKINGMOM0608 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she eating lots of snacks? If so, they may be filling her up.

You can drop the snacks completely, cut them down to much smaller sizes, or switch them to "meal" type foods. For example, my DD gets a "snack" of veggies in the afternoon.

Make certain the things she is served at her meals are healthy. Since she takes so few bites, make every bite count!

Also, remember that the amount of food a toddler eats DROPS between 1 and 3. Their growth rate drops so they don't need as much food. Some kids seem to grow and thrive on 2 cheerios and one juice box a day!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• my son went thru spirts like this. My 1st ate everything you put in front of her so when my son went 2 days I called the Dr. He said that as long as my son was getting plenty of fluids, he would eat when he was hungry. He still does it & he is 10 now. I would say as long as she is eating lil bits then there no worry. If she won't eat at all for several days then there is a problem.
    HelenStoner

Answer by HelenStoner at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My daughter went thru that phase, you just have to let them do there thing and even if they dont eat what you cooked. They will come around. I asked my doctor about it and they had said as long as they are healthy and they arent loosing weight then you should be ok. I had a friend and when her daughtere went thru this phase she would only eat cheetos!!! And she was under weight, she ended up loosing weight from it like 5 lbs!!! If that happens what i would do is give them plenty of pedia lite cus then that nutrients in it:) Good luck
    shygrl317

Answer by shygrl317 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• They just go through phases like this. My son hardly ever eats breakfast. Just try to offer them healthy stuff, but if they don't want it, don't push it. They'll eat when they are hungry. I know it's frustrating though!
    Liz_24

Answer by Liz_24 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• If they are hungry they will eat... but i know my daughter is very finicky and she is 5 now. When she was on baby food she refused to eat, if i managed to get anything in her mouth she would spit it out and hold her lips shut. Now she is much better. Also the juice intake is a factor... but it is probably just a phase..
    LuvNmyGrl

Answer by LuvNmyGrl at 6:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• my dd eats like a horse at breakfast but just munches everything else - unless she is at my parents house where she eats anything they give her!
    it just depends on when they are hungry- believe me they wont starve themselves.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My son did this for about six months and was losing weight and I was worried about nutrition for the brain so what I did was put baby food in milk bottle not the dinners but the veggies and fruit and went to the next step formula. Also I made a smoothie with peanut butter, milk, bananna, and frozen fruits. He started gaining weight, everything was nutrious and now he eats more regular. we still have issues with different texture food. Also mouth is very high in sensory I would ask your doctor to do a swallow study and maybe your child does not like different textures which will devert her/him to trying new foods
    AmeyR

Answer by AmeyR at 7:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Have you tried bribing her? Instead of saying Finish you breakfast, I would say something like, When you finish your breakfast you can go play outside... Good Luck :)
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• OMG yay I'm not the only one LOL...my four year old eversince she was old enough to walk decided she going to eat like a bird...at her last set of shots the doc asked us if we had any questions and so that's when we asked if we should put our daughter on a multi vitamin. She wasn't eating much at all. He said his six year old daughter only wanted to eat chicken fingers...I was fortunate that my daughter at least ate some vegetables..LOL...he wasn't too concerned..she was gaining weight well and was healthy. Some kids apparently eat like that. My neice was the same way til she reached about 8 years old and now she wants two plates...I guess to make up for those days she ate little LOL

Also I've been told never to force a child to eat if they didn't want to...because their own bodies tell them when they are hungry and when they are not...if you force them to eat, we mess up that mechanism...
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 2:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Hi,
    I just saw your question. We had the same issue on a smaller scale. I cut back the snack sizes and that helped to balance out the mealtime intake. My son ate a big breakfast and not much lunch or dinner. We try to make sure that he gets most of his iron (very important!) upfront in a fortified cereal with raisins, and we do a side of fruit, and include some milk and yogurt. These seem to be the most important vitamins (c, calcium and vit. d, and iron). After that we worry less about what he eats the remainder of the day and just try to provide a lot of healthy variety.
    You may ask your doctor about a short term multivitamin until your little one outgrows this phase.
    dcmommy315

Answer by dcmommy315 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2008