How long you have to be w/a company in order to qualify unemployment benefits?

I have been employed for 5 months& im thinking about quiting, i hope that for the reasons im chosing to leave my job ( it involves me having to watch my back because other staff members have said they want to assalt me) will help me get it.Does it vary from state?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• It does vary from state to state. You can actually call your local unemployment office and ask them how many "credits" you have. Ask them how long you have to be at a company and if you quit for the reasons you are saying if you would be eligible for benefits. If you have not already, I would journal EVERYTHING that is happening at your place of employment regarding the situation so at least you have your own documentation. I hope this helps.
    mdheart30

Answer by mdheart30 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would suggest quitting versus having a bad mark on your work history and getting fired. Your reputation is something you can control. Unemployment is based on your cumulative work history and the number of years you have worked along with the income you had and the taxes you paid. If you separated from the job "with cause" (were fired) you may not qualify for unemployment. Unemployment tends to be provided for separation without cause, such as a layoff or natural disaster. Each state has its own requirements so I suggest you google your state name and unemployment eligibility. Best of luck to you.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree w/ previous poster in calling unemployment to see if you would qualify as I know that when I applied for unemployment in the past, you had to be there for a year. I was only there for 3 months when they termed me for no reason. I went to unemployment & was going to get paid out from the job before that since I wasn't at the bar job very long. Unemployment calls the employer to interview them & the guy made up a bunch of crap so even tho he wasn't the one to pay out the unemployment, I was still declined. Cover your bases for sure before you make any decisions
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Don't know if it varies but you must be with the company for a minimum of 6 months in the state of Nevada.
    Sarah.Rachel

Answer by Sarah.Rachel at 2:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If you quit, you will not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• it goes by how much you made but if you quit you will be denied
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Employers DO have to pay into unemployment benefits for their employees, and the ONLY way you become eligible for unemployment benefits is due to being laid off or furloughed.  If you are terminated for even the smallest infraction, or quit your job, you are not eligible to collect. 

I believe the average employment time before being eligible to collect is 6 months.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• From what I understand you do not get benefits if you quit
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:45 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• You can see info on this at your state's unemployment office website and also give them a call
    elizabr

• at least 90 days per certain companies.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011