Ok, so is this weird

So I'm a kindergarten teacher and I was asked out but one of my student's parents, who lives down the street from me. We had one date last weekend but, tomorrow night we are planning to have dinner tomorrow, him and his daughter and me and my daughter. I don't know what to do. Should I let Anna call me Miss Sophie or continue calling me Miss Holliway like she does at school? Has anyone else had this problem? I really like this guy and I don't want to do anything to mess this up? Any advice?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it would be OK if you tell her that when she is NOT at school she can call you Miss Sophie...and if later she calls you that in class i would just remind her that she can only call you that outside of school and at school she needs to call you Miss Holliway...JMO

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think you should take it really slow and allow both daughters to adjust. Just hang out as friends until the daughter is not in your class anymore (unless you teach multiple grades). It can get really confusing to the kids. I'd say just stick to your school name, it's not like you need the informal name yet and you still know that it means you. Less confusing that way and more professional looking to the rest of the school.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i agree with momofone072506:)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• She asked me in class today if I was going to be her new mommy. I explained to her that she already had a mommy and I was just her daddy's friend. We're treating it like a play date for the girls. Alice is almost three and Anna is almost six so we're eating dinner at McDonalds so they can play on the play ground.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• agree w hello kitty
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 4:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It seems much too early to bring children into this.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Oh, OH! She asked you in class if you are going to be her new mommy?! Oh man. I wonder what her dad has told her!? You could tell her to call you Mrs. H if you don't want her to call you by your first or last name. Or by Alice's mommy. My kids friends always call my Abby's mom. You lose your identity when you have kids, you kinda lose your name when you go to their school, KWIM? I guess it is a good idea to treat it like a play date. Though, they are such different ages, unless Anna doesn't mind playing with a girl that young. My daughter will play with anyone, much younger then her or not. LOL! Since his daughter is in your class, and your girls are involved, take it very slow. And, find out what his intentions are. If he is out to find his daughter a 'new mommy', watch out. If he honestly likes you and wants to see where it leads, see where it leads.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Well it's nice to hear you met a nice guy so now what you need to do is keep it professional at work ALWAYS even though you are dating her father now outside of work, give her the choice to call you either Ms. or by your name whatever works for you both but let her know that when your in call she has to respect you as she would any Teacher by calling your Ms.
    Hope all works out for you
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• take it slow!
    but i agree with miss sophia outside of school, and Miss holliway in school.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 12:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011