Did you know???? I did'nt!

Did you know that by throwing an old (out of use) cell phone or charger in the trash, it leaches dangerous toxins like mercury into the environment? Yikes!
Instead you can take them to any T-Mobile to recycle them, it's okay if it's not a T-Mobile phone, they take all kinds =)

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Technology

• I donate them to centers for abused women who have left their abusers. So if they go back they can use it to call 911.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I've heard that before. We take ours and donate to women's shelters and the like.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes. same for any old electronics and batteries. better to recycle them or donate them
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I know that Verizon takes old phones & refurbishes them so that they can be used for the abused as well. They give them out for free so they can call 911 if they need to.
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 2:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• We recycle phones through our daughter's school; they send phones, ink and toner cartridges, etc., and receive points that they can use to buy ink and toner for the school.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I did know this, they have phone drop offs in alot of the stores where I live....but the idea of donating them to womens shelters is wonderful and I think I may start doing this.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I donate all old cell phones.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes, I knew.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes I did. We always give our old one back when we get a new one. This time we don't have to give it back, and both of our phones are in good shape, so we'll be donating them to a local women's shelter - they "refurb" them and get them connected so that battered women have a phone for free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I didn't know that either. Thanks :)
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2011