How can I potty train my 9 week old chihuahua "Pepper"?... She just dont get the hang of it..

I tried everything...Newspaper, the puppy Pads at Walmart...I watch her like 24/7... i spank her... with the newspaper... I'm at a Loss...

lilvee3

Asked by lilvee3 at 2:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Have you tried a cage?  Nothing worked with my dog except a cage.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• cage her, and take her out of it often going out side right after getting her out. pick her up and don't give her the chance to pee inside ( by picking her up) after a few days.. she should get the hang of coming out of the cage and go potty, walk around outside.. still gotta watch her though
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I tie her up with her leash.. an i only give her so much space to go....could that be the samething
    lilvee3

Comment by lilvee3 (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Well I did mine oposite.  I put him in a cage on some newspaper and then after he peed I took him out with lots of love and praise.  Cleaned the cage, did it again about 2 hours later.  He was the only dog I have ever known who refused to do his business outside, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• ok i will try that. I just dont want to hurt her....
    lilvee3

Comment by lilvee3 (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• LOL MrsHouston47302!!!!!! i think im going in the same direction as you!!!! thanks
    lilvee3

Comment by lilvee3 (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• potty training puppies can be harder than potty training a kid. it helps if you're with them at ALL times for at least a week, but it may not be possible for everyone. you have to just keep a very good eye on them. you'll know when they're gonna go because they'll sniff the floor &/or circle. but once you see the puppy wandering away from you, take her outside immediately. and if she has an accident, get mad & put her face in it. i know it's mean, but if you want results it'll work. i've had many many dogs & constant supervision is key in the first few weeks. i don't know how to pad train though. just to go outside. i think it'd be easier if your dog wasn't tied up. puppies usually follow you around like shadows, and you'll know she has to go if she wanders away from you. good luck.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• thank you very much!!!!! rAbella. I appreciate it very much!!!!!
    lilvee3

Comment by lilvee3 (original poster) at 2:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I just took my dog outside on a regular schedule. it worked for us.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 4:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Crate train her, using puppy pads only teaches dogs to go to the bathroom on anything that is left on the floor. Get her on a schedule, feed her at the same time every day and take her out at the same times. He bladder is tiny so you need to take her outside frequently. Also STOP SPANKING her. You should NEVER punish the dog for going in the house if you don't catch them in the act. There are better ways to correct the dog anyway hitting teaches them nothing except to be afraid.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2011