If you disagreed on how a parent was disciplining their child in public, would you approach them and voice you opinion? Why or why not?

Just fussing or yelling at them. But you can also include the hitting them in public. Would you approach them and say something? Or watch in awe and later speak badly of them later?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• The other side of it is that I'd feel like crap if I didn't do something & the child was killed or hurt.
    I guess the question for me would be Since I'm not sure what I'm walking into, whose life is more valuable, the childs' or my own?
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 3:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I couldn't stop myself, I had to stop this mom and give her a hug.  I could just tell she was losing it and man I've been there.  Nothing is going right, kids are acting crazy.  We all have our bad days.  I could see myself in her and I hugged her.  I didn't chastise her but she literally broke down crying right there in the parking lot.  Afterwards she was laughing and smiling and I'd like to think someone just understanding what she was going through made her day a bit better.  No, she wasn't hitting.  She yelled and cursed.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• A spank on the bottom I wouldn't say anything about.  I would say something if I witness a child being slapped numerous times, screamed at while being put down.  For example "you effing mfer", etc.  Definitely I would say something. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree with above comments. I usually won't say anything cause I am a mom of two now and I have had my 3 year scream through the store and just about wanted to scream myself. I wish sometimes someone would come up to me and just hug me when I am at that point. I have never hit my child in public at all except for maybe on the hand or something but I don't step in when I see a mother getting after her child either because it really isn't my place. Now like above if I saw someone beating the crap out of their child or cursing at them and what not I might try and help the situation or try and get help.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 3:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have been known to say something when it has stepped over the line, I am not talking a smack on the booty, or a time out with a screaming child in the store. I am talking slapping a child in the face cause they wanted a candy and when told no cried, not threw a fit just cried (I called the police). It's not something I can sit back and watch.

Other times if I see I can diffuse it by talking to the little one or striking up a convo with the parent I will. As mentioned sometimes the mom just needs a moment to catch their breath, and if I can give them the moment they need, then I am happy to help.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Oh and my "why" is perfectly selfish.  What if I hadn't of stopped that mom and she had beat the crap out of her kid.  Never underestimate stress or someones breaking point.  If someone is screaming obscenities at their child, to me that's at the breaking point.  I would want someone to step in and offer me a shoulder if they were to see me get like that. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'm with Mrs.Houston, unless I see mom striking the child harder then what I think is warranted for the situation such as slapping the childs butt hard enough makes the kid fall down, or I see bruises in places I now would be impossible to get by roughhousing or falling of a bike. Then ya I would speak up and tell her if she wanted to hit someone, hit me. Cause then it would be self-defense when I beat the hell out of her and asked her how she feels getting beat.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No I would not say anything unless I was seeing some straight up abuse going on other than that it's one of my business.
    aak1986

Answer by aak1986 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I am a firm believer in discipline and, with most children, the discipline needs to be immediate or the child doesn't get the message. I depends of the method though. A pop on the but is one thing but I saw a mother at Wal*Mart once that beat the hell out of her child with a roll of wrapping paper. That was excessive. That's not discipline. That's abuse.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would not approach unless I was in the mood for getting my ass kicked. Even if the child was in a dangerous situation - I would not approach the parent. I would call the authorities and have them determine what needs to be done. I would discreetly gather information without being overt about it. It is my opinion that directly getting involved can sometimes back fire. Instead of helping the child - the parent may become even more aggressive making a bad situation worse.  I am not saying do nothing if a child is in danger but I am suggesting putting your safety at risk and risking escalating the situation is a possibility.  I may not like how a parent is interacting with thier child but unless the child is in immediate physical danger or I see some type of evidence the child is in danger I let it go. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2011