How do you keep cats from trying to eat or play with house plants?

My windows are all pretty low for some reason and I have a book case right beside one and I keep my bamboo on top of it, but I want more plants. I'm afraid my cats will be climbing things to get to the plants and I can't put any outside (strays, ducks, deer, etc.). Any suggestions?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I take Chili powder (the spice you cook with) and lightly dust or sprinkle your plants. This works great. Cats will not touch them again if the chili powder stays on. Make sure when watering you don’t rinse the chili all off. Or Place double-sided sticky tape on the area surrounding the plant. My cat HATES when I spray the top and bottoms of the leaves with some diluted perfume. Some cats will follow the smell and try to nibble on the plant. That normally will be followed by a mad dash to the water bowl to get rid of the taste. I personally like this one! Its funny as hell!.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have 2 indoor cats and we found that by hanging the plants fromt he ceiling the cats dont disturb them. You can even get decorative plant hangers.
    aubrianasangel

Answer by aubrianasangel at 3:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Keep a squirt gun handy and everytime they touch the plant/planter squirt them. It takes just a couple of squirts and they will leave it alone.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• For my cats, it was just a phase when they were younger. I had to hide the plants in a room when I was gone during the day. As they grow up, they didn't do it anymore. You might try to get them their own cat grass planter and place it on the ground for them to satisfy their craving for greens. The hydroponic ones are safest since soil can cause digestive upset. Or even chia pets work. There are many kinds you can order online.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have heard about the squirt gun idea. My parents have used it very effectively on their cats.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 7:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think i heard squirt the plants with white vinegar but google that not sure if it was vinegar or not,, i just gave up on it and bought him cat nip plants to eat..
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2011