Am I spoiling my baby??

My daughter is 4wks old...sometimes the only way I can get her to settle into a good sleep is by lying her on my chest and letting her snooze there for about half an hour and then lay her down. She doesn't require this everytime, but she has her days. I know if I don't stop she's going to get spoiled to it, I go back to work in a couple of weeks and I won't be there for bedtime. Any tips on getting a baby to sleep good?

Ellsmommy27

Asked by Ellsmommy27 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOOOOO!!! You can't spoil a newborn! Think about it this way - she has been with you, cradled and rocked and protected by you, for every moment of her life up until birth. And suddenly now she's out in the cold, loud, and insecure world. Of course she prefers to be held. There is nothing wrong with that, and it's not a habit she needs to be broken of. It's a real and valid need. So hold her as much as she wants and as much as you can stand. It's good for her development and her health to be held and feel safe. Her sleep patterns are largely dictated by her brain development at this point, and there is not much you can do to influence them.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• at least she lets you put her down. At that age mine would wake up if I tried to put her down after she fell asleep. She also only fell asleep while held or lying next to me in bed. She's about 3 months now and she just started being able to be set down when she goes to sleep a week or so ago. I'm guessing someone will be babysitting when you go to work, as long as they hold her while she falls asleep all should be well.
    wulfbourne

Answer by wulfbourne at 9:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Daddy will be home while I'm at work. He's pretty good about holding her too, he isn't as quick to pick her up as I am though. I just can't sit there and let her cry, it breaks my heart too bad!
    Ellsmommy27

Answer by Ellsmommy27 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• dont worry i did the same thing with my son. he had colic and the first few months were really rough. the only way he would sleep was if i would lay with him on my chest also. some nights just so i could sleep i left him on me all night. you do what is best for you and baby. my husband was the same way just would let him cry a little. i couldnt. Imo it is not spoiling it is comforting the baby. at this age that is what they need just simply to be comforted.

myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• you cannot spoil a baby.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• OH gosh, NO your def not spoiling a newborn by doing that. My son was the same way up to 4 months old! He still some times takes a nap on me, he'll sleep for 2 hr's instead of half an hour when I rock him and sit down with him laying on me. REMEMBER, when they are in the womb for 9 months they have the comfort of your smell, sounds, and warmth! They still feel the need for that when only newborn...and really the need doesn't go away for a few months at least if not longer, to be close to mommy...and daddy ;) but more mommy! It's said to help your baby in later yr's with being a loving person and when they're building relationships too, when you hold them and love them..
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 10:52 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• many babies are soothed by their mothers scent and the sound of breathing and a heartbeat. After you wash the baby's sheet/blanket, rub it on yourself. There are teddy bears you can buy that mimmick a heartbeat so babies will sleep easier when they hear it. It may help... (congradulations, babies are so much fun!)
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 10:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• NO WAY! Lol you cannot spoil a baby! I do the same thing with my daughter stilland she is 7 months lol
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Ditto, ditto, ditto....

You cannot spoil a baby.

I would have a long talk with the new "put to bedder" person (is there an actual WORD for it?) and have them practice exactly what you're doing.

Good luck going back to work!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• NO SUCH THING @ THAT AGE! JUST ENJOY IT, MINE DID THAT FOR THE FIRST 5 MONTHS DUE TO REALLY BAD REFLUX AND CHOKING AT NIGHT, NOW SHE IS 15 MOS AND GOTTEN OVER THE REFLUX, SHE ACTUALLY WONT HQARDLY EVER SALEEP ON MY LAP/CHEST NOW .... I MISS IT! JUST ENJOY AND DONT WORRY SO MUCH, YOURE DOING GREAT!
    IMANGELEYEZ

Answer by IMANGELEYEZ at 12:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008