Does your baby sleep better on his back or tummy?

My ds is 4 months and can roll over fine. I was thinking about trying to put him down on his belly to see if he'll sleep better. He tosses and turns a lot. What are your experiences?

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 9:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well at that age I wouldn't put them on their belly because the risk of SIDS is higher, but I think you know that already and just wanted to start something by asking this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm not trying to start anything....I was under the impression that the risk of SIDS was putting babies who cant roll over on their bellies. WTH? How is this trying to start something? I was asking a simple question.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:40 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Belly for my lil G. As long as he can roll over- BOTH WAYS- the belly is OK. My Ped. told us that.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 10:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• yeah my daughters always slept on her belly from day 1 and at first i was nervous but ive never had problems with it and shes 5 1/2 months old now and she can roll over both was too. my doctor said as long as the sheet on her mattress was real tight and theres nothing she can sufficate herself with like blankets, toys, pillow, etc then belly is fine.

p.s. i dont think you were starting anything, i think it was a perfectly reasonable question.
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• FIRST anonymous idiot at the top..this site's to ask and answer, not to judge! research B4 you answer someone with a question that makes total sense! NOW sbastille...My son is 5 months old, he's been sleeping on his tummy since birth, he wouldn't have it any other way.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 10:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I tried his back..he wouldn't, to the point where he'd cry way 2 much for me to leave him crying when newborn. I tried his side, again he'd freak out SO I've had him on his back, he's been sleeping through the night since 2.5 months old! Some babies have acid reflux, although he's never been diagnosed with it, you can clearly hear him spitting up and choking on it, when he's on his back, even when I'm changing him it some times happens. If I was you, I'd do what you feel is right for your baby, all babies are diff..I checked on him through out the night made sure he didn't put his face down and to make sure he wasn't choking on spit up as well..less likely to happen when he's on his tummy!!
    aidansmyheart

• Belly. I think they feel more secure on their tummies. I also don't think you were starting anything. Its just a question. Come on ladies...grow up. Shes an inquiring mind who wants to know.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• He's rolling over both way's now, at 5 months and even though he goes 2 sleep on tummy, some times he's on side or back all on his own. My doc said don't worry about SID'S if there's no way to get him to sleep in another position..some babies won't sleep another way..and letting them cry forever isn't the answer either, that causes lack of sleep..and stress for you and your baby. Once baby is rolling from back to front and vise versa, they can move themselves so logically it makes no diff how you lay them down! Just check on baby frequently!
    aidansmyheart

• my 9 month old rolls herself onto her tummy. I worry a little but what do you do.
    sportsmomma

Answer by sportsmomma at 10:46 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• always put baby to sleep on their back.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2008