I hear how some kids treat thier parents......

did i just raise my boys right not to do the screaming, biting, kicking, calling names. or are some kids just brats?
I guess the times they have done things i took care of it right away, left the store or whatever. and i have never spanked my kids other then i swap on the butt.
My 16 yr old has told me the way some friends talk to thier parents and it floors me, I couldn't imagine my son calling me names the way others do.
Is it how you raise them or are some just brats?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have no idea.  I can say it would not be tolerated in my house.  What I just got out of your question though (I could be wrong, just stating my opinion) is that you keep an open communication or why would your son talk to you about such a thing.  Maybe open communication and discipline are key?  Maybe some kids go through fazes and act out.  I'm not actually sure so I'm grasping for answers because that is something that just floors me.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• And I'll also say this.  My parents wouldn't win any parent of the year awards but there is no way in hell I would have ever spoken to them like that period.  I would have been picking my jaw up off of the floor.  I back talked my grandma once.  And once was all it took.  She backhanded me.  I never back talked her again.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think it is mostly in how they are raised. I think parents don't respect their kids enough. They need to love, discipline (which is guidance not punishment), teach, but respect them too. I see some children bossed around, cussed at, and treated poorly and then the parents wonder why they get no respect from them. Are some kids going to end up being brats anyway? Probably, but not the majority.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It is how you raise them, if you put a stop at the first sign of disrespect and tell them this is not to be tolerated and reprimand, this would not happen.

Answer by older at 8:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think it's a little of both. I think it's normal for kids to try stuff like that, and when the parents don't do something to put a stop to it, it becomes the kids default behavior. My kids have tried it, and they've both been disciplined for it, and I would be surprised if they did it again.

I have to say, though, that I've seen kids go the complete opposite way. Mom (or dad) is so strict, or just so over protective, that the kid can't even begin to imagine bucking against them, even when it would benefit the child to do so and the parent is being abusive or too ridiculous. I have a friend that is super overprotective and her kid is like that. She could wrap him in bubble wrap and he'd never say a word. He's so sheltered by her that he just doesn't even know that talking back is something someone does.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I believe most of it is how you raise them. I have a brother that was and is horrid and I was always the good kid and always used that as an argument that it's not always the parents' fault......but looking back on it as an adult, I see how much different we were treated. He basically got by with anything; whereas if I even thought about getting out of line, I was punished.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Both I think. I see how the kids are today. Im older, and all the behavior I see today are things that would have gotten me or any other kid in my day jacked up side the head or spitting teeth the parents would have knocked out. Parents of the 50's 60's and 70's DID NOT EVER take the crap that kids dish out today, and now that we are adults? Were the responsible adult of society that hold jobs pay taxes and adhear to the laws of this country. The worlds headed to hell in a hand basket with the way people "raise" kids today.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think a lot of it is that most parents do not give a consequence for disrespectful behavior until it's too late. They just "talk" to their kids and tell them that they shouldn't act like that instead of giving a time out or taking something away. After several years of "talking" to them about their behavior the kids realize that they can act like that and nothing will happen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• it's how you raise them for sure. every kid has their "moments" just like adults have moments. but if you raise them to mind their manners and to have a genuine respect from the beginning, they won't be unruly brats when they're older. my 4 and 2 year old are great little girls. i always get compliments on how well behaved my kids are, and i take 3 of them to the store by myself everytime. i never have to chase anyone, yell, or leave the store. my friend has a 4 year old that is just plain rude. never says please or thank you, she just "wants" this or that and her mom gives it to her. she also still whines and throws tantrums and she's about to turn 5 this year. it makes me cringe!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I was raised not to talk to my Parents like that. I remember mouthing off to my Mom once and getting smacked so hard, I was pissed but i never talked to her that way again.

I do have good communication with my kids. They are great kids, most of the time.

jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 8:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011