The Ethics of Overpopulation?

Here is an interesting article I read yesterday, and I would like to get some responses from you wonderful ladies. What are your thoughts on this subject? The article is not very long.

http://scienceblogs.com/aardvarchaeology/2008/11/the_ethics_of_overpopulation.php?utm_source=readerspicks&utm_medium=link

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sorry, but I don't think the government should be able to rule over our bodies like that. Some people will never have kids, and some will have 5. I don't think it's anyone's place to tell me how many I'm allowed to have.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• As long as people can "afford" their kids, I don't care if they have 12.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The article wasn't calling for the government to step in and say you can't have more than 2, just that with todays ecological conditions it is unethical to have more than two. If you want to have twelve, go ahead, but you are contributing to a greater problem, where those twelve children, and their children, will have very hard times to come due to over population. It's about creating a better quality of life for future generations.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• UNETHICAL to have more than two kids? *giggles*

This man is full of himself.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Oh, and it's not about whether you can afford twelve kids, it's about whether the planet can support twelve more people.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• There are plenty of countries that have populations that have outstripped their natural resources. Over-crowding, poverty and starvation are rampant. We are fortunate to live in a huge country with lots of space. Thinking about the future before it happens is not a bad idea.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would much rather limit myself to two children, than to have my children suffer through some horrible life where there is just not enough to go around.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:01 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• mancosmomma, good answer!

my2.5boys: no one said the government WOULD step in. no one is calling for that at all.
    this article is about personal and social responsibility. planning for the future whether it effects us or not. Ensuring that the future generations don't end up like overpopulated deer. It's about fixing the problem before the situation becomes desperate and there are food, land, water, and energy shortages.

the only think I disagree with the article on is that I believe that AIDS and cancer and various other diseases and illnesses are part of natures way of controlling the population itself.
    wallylicious

Answer by wallylicious at 10:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• We just did a really long q/a on this. Do a search on overpopulation on the cafemom page. We all had some really interesting comment, if you are interested.
    I personally don't believe in overpopulation.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Sorry, that should read, I don't believe in the THEORY of overpopulation.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2008