• In the Spotlight:

What fun and interesting ways do you decorate your Easter eggs?

I've tried an array of crafty ways to decorate the eggs with my kids but now as they get older, I want to do something more mature. I've seen some eggs done with what looks like acrylic paint....is that egg still edible? I've also seen some done with melted wax and then dipped but mine did not come out that great. Any ideas aside from the kits they sell at the store?

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Holidays

• Last year i found a real different way to decorate and to my surprise it worked! Buy old silk ties or silk scarves with cool patterns at the good will and cut into a square then wrap it around the RAW egg and secure it with rubber bands twist ties. Then use an old white pillow case or table cloth wrap a piece of that around the egg and secure it as well put the eggs in water with some white vinegar and boil as your normally would about 20 min. let cool until you can handle them, and remove all fabric,, Then wipe with a little veggie oil for shine.. You will have a beautiful egg!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i like the clear crayon that you use to draw on the egg and when you dye it yiu can see what you drew :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• This yr I am going to do plaster of paris (sp) eggs...
    take a real egg, blow out the inside and let dry completely...
    seal one hole and pour plaster into it and let set/dry completely...
    peel real shell off let stand and air dry for another day or 2 ...
    take soft cloth and wipe egg, color/paint and then seal with
    a clear sealant you can find at most arts and craft stores...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• oddly, we don't dye or decorate eggs anymore...we used to just buy those paaz kits though.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 10:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I took a Saturday class at a large national park in which they taught us how to use items from nature to dye eggs. You could probably research this on the internet.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 11:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Here are some really cute Ideas.. Hope you find one you like
    http://familyfun.go.com/easter/easter-crafts/egg-decorating-ideas-843997/view-all/
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• using a white color and making cool designs then putting it in the dye
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• crayons, glitter, coloring, stickers
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 4:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I color them with various dyes, some in natural browns or reds, and some in the classic easter pastel colors. then I spray paint a plastic bag on the inside with a metallic jewel color like bronze or silver and while it's wet, I place the colored egg inside and quickly wipe the egg with the wet painted bag. Quickly remove the egg and let dry, you will get a marblized effect. I love this look with naturally brown or blue eggs, and just silver on white eggs.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• jewjewbee, is the spray paint going to make it a toxic thing to make the eggs non-edible? I am a painter and was wondering if I used acrylics if that would also be a no no? I guess to make sure they are not cracked but I don't want to poison anyone. That doesn't make for a very nice Easter.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2011