Asperger's Question

I have 5 children, 4 of them with Asperger's. All are strong willed and have their own idea about how things "should" work. They all have different schedules (make by them) all have to have their own way.

How do I get them on the same page so I don't continue to loose my sanity? I'm overwhelmed trying to meet all their different "needs" I want breakfast to be at 7 am, not 5 am for one kid and it Must be oatmeal, 6 am for another cause it's on the schedule they made and 8 am for another, etc.

This am a kid got it stuck in her head that she "had" to mix cheese and mayo together and add it to rice and need my help even though I'm trying to do 5 other things at the same time. I can't just drop everything everytime someone wants something. But no one will follow a schedule I set up to help.

Is there any way to get 4 very different Asperger's kids to follow the same page so mom can have some peace?

Advice?

Thanks for listening

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• group hug

jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'll bump, maybe someone else will have an answer for you. GL momma!
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Have you tried posting a schedule and a meal plan for them to see? They do this at schools so the kids know what is expected. And they realize that it is not just what they want. I know I did this with my ASD son when he was younger. It made him more comfortable because he knew what to expect. It might be a bit of work to set up the schedule and meal plan before hand, but it could be helpful in keeping your sanity.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have a grandson with Aspergers and he is eight years old now and has been getting his own breakfast for a few years, cereal of course.
    He is very independent but he will do what his parents say, they are in charge not him.
    You are the parent you set the rules not the kids no matter what they have or you will go crazy.
    He use get up at 5 am and want to play video games so what they did was put a note on the TV that said no games till after breakfast and getting dressed. They set the time not the child.
    You still have to set rules for the kids. They need to learn that there are rules they have fallow and they have to have structure.
    Put a schedule in the kitchen telling them how thing are going to be for that day. These kids are very smart you have to teach them about how things have their time and place.
    My daughter also home schools her three kids, one is 8, 5 and almost a two year old. Having structure is what helps.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• you set them all down and you talk to them , and you all come up with something that works are the WHOLE family not just one child and if someone whats something at a time its not on the chart then they can deal with doing it themselves.....thats what worked for my and my aspie son and ocd daughter.......you just realy have to figure out whats going to work for your family
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• How about sitting down with them at the table, and let them work with you on making the schedule. Hopefully they can agree on the schedule that they set up.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 3:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2011