How does ....

allowing gay marriage infringe on Christian rights? Christians can keep their Bible intact as long as they themselves do not participate in the so called sin, why and how would this infringe on the Christian's rights?

Asked by older at 10:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • As some pp's said, it wouldn't infringe on Christian rights unless the govt. tried to force Christian ministers, clergy, etc.. to perform marriages that go against their beliefs. Personally, I don't see it as infringing on my rights as a Christian for same sex couples to marriage, but I believe that we Christians who disagree with same sex marriage have the right to disagree and have freedom to say what we believe.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 9:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• "Because we have to see it! Because we're expected to tolerate and accept it!" *eyeroll*

It doesn't. Christians (those who are against gay marriage, anyway, since not all of us are) don't lose anything by allowing homosexuals to marry. We're still free to disapprove or believe however we wish. Projecting our beliefs (general "our", since not all of us, including myself, hold such beliefs about homosexuality) onto others is NOT a right, and IS something that should be stopped.

I can understand the worries about churches or pastors being forced to marry homosexuals, but I really do believe those who are challenged in such a way will be in the minority, since most homosexuals just want the right for themselves and aren't out to take away the rights of others. And I would fully support a church's right to discriminate who they marry, per their convictions. But that doesn't mean we should deny gays marriage altogether!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• the only way this can happen is if the government forces (makes it into a law) a church or xtian minister (who otherwise disapproves of the lifestyle/etc) to 'approve' it and support it by having ceremonies/whatever take place in their place of worship, by said minister.

unless i missed something..other than that, gay marriage has no tangible or intangible effect on xtian 'rights'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Im Christian.
    I am FOR gay marriage!
    Not everyone who gets married is Christian. Atheist & people of all walks of life get married.
    You dont have to be in a church to be married! you dont have to take certain vows to be married!

Anyone (ordaines ministers) can refuse to marry someone..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• @MamaK88--I love those pics! I especially love the consequence of gay marriage pie chart. :-D

OP-- It doesn't! The definition of 'traditional marriage' has gone through many changes over the years. I don't see why it can't change again to allow all consenting adults to have the same right as everyone else. I do believe it should be considered a human right--not a privilege for heterosexual people only. No one else's marriage has any impact on my own marriage or my rights IMO. Hope we can add a definte date to the end of this poster SOON. :-)

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have yet to figure it out how it affects anyone's marriage except for the two people getting married.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• it doesnt. i mean there are several "sinful" activities that society deems okay and Christians participate in...like a lot of divorces, adultery, premarital sex, lying, gluttony, greed, etc. i truly believe the reason homosexual marriage is the hot topic it is and used as a scape goat for America's "failing" morality is b/c most people arent "tempted" by a gay lifestyle. they dont understand what its like to be told "every time you fall in love its a sin!" or "your entire lifestyle is sinful". Christianity has a problem of thinking homosexuality is all a person is, while the other "sins" are just an aspect of a person's life.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• MamaK88