Do i say anything?

My friend and I have been best friends for about 10 yrs now.. She has a 3 yr old boy & i love them both .. Well it seems like everytime i call her she lets him answer the phone & thats fine i'll talk to him, but when i really need to talk to her he answers the phone & i can hear her sayin say hi or give me the phone & then i hear her talking to other ppl or she starts the vacumm cleaner. Then she's like bub give me the phone then he runs off with it, & i can hear her still talking to other ppl & this has lasted for about 20 min so i just hang up.. I think its rude. Sometimes my oldest who is 6 answers my phone but then gives it right to me if im not in the room.. My kids dont get on the phone unless they ask or the other person asks for them.. I dont know if im makin a big deal out if this but i think its rude & dont know what to say to her or if i should say anything at all!..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say something, but keep it gentle. Maybe she should keep the phone out of his reach until he can answer it properly. She might not realize that there was actually anyone on the phone if she started the vaccuum. She might have thought he was just playing. Let her know that you were waiting 20 minutes for her to get the phone away from him before you hung up and you had something important to tell her. Glad it wasn't an emergency.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Just tell her that you've started hanging up as soon as her son answers the phone, because he never seems to pass the phone to her no matter what you say. You'll either piss her off or prompt her to have a little lesson on phone protocol with her son. Either way, she'll get the message!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It's rude. I would tell her and if she has a problem with your view then don't call.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• oh that is one of my pet peeves. Children should NOT answer phones unless they can do it properly!!

Our children were/are required to say "hello smith residence may I ask who is calling."

It is simply rude to allow a child to do that.... Ill bet that isnt the only thing she allows him to do that isnt very proper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• ooh she always knows im on the phone because she'll tell him to say hi & im on the other line tryin to say it loud. I NEED TO TALK TO YOU NOW!........ No she is very good mom i just dont want her to think i think that by talking to her about this.. because one time we got in a little spat because we were on the phone & it was like 1 something in the morning her time & her son wanted some cereal. well she fixed him a bowl & told him to go sit in the bed. Her & her husbands bed that all 3 of them sleep in. & he spilt it all over the place. I cant remember what she said but i said GO FIGURE. and it just escalated from there
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Tell your same friend abt it. Inform her though you like talking to the kido but then you can't discuss everything with him. Hence you require to talk to her. Or may be actually she has started avoiding you. If later is the case then take it light...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 1:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Don't stay on the phone so long waiting for her! Say hi to him, ask for his mom and then just don't talk. That could be boring for him and he may give it to her more quickly. But the job is really on her end! She needs to take charge of the phone! You could bring it up by asking her if she has a code word or something so she can get the phone. Just tell her that you didn't know what you could do if there was an emergency and you did need to speak with her right away. Maybe that will get her thinking! But then if she's someone who turns on the vacuum while you're stuck on the phone with her son, she just may not have the sense! The best thing for you to do is call, say hi to him, ask for her and wait for no more than one minute and then hang up. If she has caller ID she'll figure you called. What a messy situation to be in with a friend! Good luck!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would just hang up sooner that is way annoying
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• thank you all for your comments.. This has helped alot.. I am goin to call her later & see what happens
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i would just ask her , what if there was a emergency and ur son dont give u the fone rt away , do u think it is wise for a 3 yr old to answer the fone
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2011