7 yr old bed wetter

My nearly 7 yr old constantly wets the bed. He's been praised when he wakes up dry, we've told him he can get a reward(staying up later cuz he's been begging to do just that)when he wakes up dry,etc. But nothing seems to click with him.

Has anyone had a bed wetter at this age and have any tips to help him remain dry during the night besides waking him up in the middle of the night(which isnt doable cuz he shares his room with his two younger brothers and he's a miserable waker upper...Ive tried. I dont wanna risk waking the younger ones up)??

We make sure he has nothing to drink an hour before bed, he goes potty right before he jumps into bed.
Ive heard him get up at like 530-6a to go but by then he's already wet and instead of changing stuff he just goes back to bed or wakes his brothers and they play.

Im at a loss. Any advice from those who have been through this would be awesome. Thx!

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I had one that went through that. I finally talked to the doctor about it. I was told that there is something they can give them, but they don't like to do that unless it gets really serious. My doctor told me and my daughter not to worry about it. She said that the good part is, she knows of no adults that do that, so you ARE going to grow out of it. For some reason, after hearing that, things got better with her and it stopped. Seems like the less attention it got, the better it got.
    huntsiekfind

Answer by huntsiekfind at 11:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My 9 year old is still a bed wetter and after every test, device, technique we tried to no avail, we came to the conclusion she will eventually outgrow it. Bedwetting in older children is a lot more common than we are led to believe. For some reason when an older child wets the bed, it is a bad thing that there just HAS to be something wrong with that child. I was a late bedwetter and my parents berated me, spanked me, and did all sorts of things to me to make me feel bad about myself. I am not going to take the route that they did with my daughter. However, I will make her clean her sheets because I can't stand the smell of her pee.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If it is not from some stress but because he is lazy to get up and go to the toilet than make him clean up after himself every time he wets the bed straight away, talk to him it is not nice and normal to do that. You maybe will wake up the smaller ones some times but he will learn that not going to the toilet is worse than being lazy. If it goes farer than go and talk to your pediatrician. I would talk to the doctor anyway.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Ya, he cleans up his sheets and clothes himself. The only thing I do is add soap to the washer and turn it on. He puts stuff in and puts the clean into the dryer and makes his bed,etc.

There are stressors in the home but he's also lazy, just doesnt wanna get up to do it cuz he did it before the stressors came to be. So I know its a bit of both but I also know my hubby was a later bed wetter so I figured that might play into it as well.

I appreciate the advice, thank you.
    Amaranth361

Comment by Amaranth361 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i didnt have a bed wetter but have u taken him to the doctors ? it could be something wrong with his bladder
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• have you brought him to the doctor? I was a bad bed wetter till 8 when I collapsed and it turned out my kidneys had alot of little infections that were never picked up on, spent 2 weeks in hospital on very strong antibodics.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 6:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011