• In the Spotlight:

When to try to start potty training??

My son is 16months old today and holds himself and tells me when hes pooped. But it's always after.. He loves his potty and sits on it, is it too soon to start potty training?? We are pregnant and due in April and it would be nice to only have one in diapers.. LOL!! Any chances of that??

Luvey12

Asked by Luvey12 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was trained a couple months after I was able to walk, but I know some kids don't start until they're almost 4 (which, in my opinion, is waay pushin it) Boys take a longer time to train than girls in a lot of cases. I personally think a good time to train is between 2 1/2 and 3 for girls and 2 3/4 and 3 1/4 for boys, but that doesn't mean lower your expectations for him. you could tell him that he gets (his favorite candy) and a sticker every time he uses the potty
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 10:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you keep your expectations low, you can start now. Be aware that telling you he wants his dirty diaper changed is NOT a sign that he is ready. It is a sign that he is aware that something is uncomfortable, not that he is aware of what he did to cause the problem in the first place.

Most books will tell you to wait until he is ready. Let's pretend he will be ready to learn and master this process at 29 months. If you start at 29 months, he'll probably be done training in a month or so. If you start now, he'll probably be done training - be fully responsible for everything - in 14 to 15 months... right around 30 to 31 months. Your choice. And be aware that the new baby will set him back a lot, possibly even back to square one.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If he cannot recognize that he NEEDS to go, rather than that he DID go, he's not ready. If he can, he may be ready.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008