Do you think this is being selfish?

We recently got a laptop computer, we haven't even had one in the house since before my daugher was born. She is 2 1/2 now. I have been enjoying this site and checking in with friends on facebook and twitter. I usually try to sit in the same room with my daughter while she colors or watches her leapfrog dvds and plays with her toys whenever I do this. I have been told that I am being selfish for taking this time away from my daughter. Do you have an opinion on this? Am I selfish? I don't go anywhere outside of the home that I don't also take her, I don't have a social life except through here. I try to stay up after she goes to bed to do some of this, but, I do need to sleep, if I don't get enough sleep then I feel worse the next day and feel like I don't give her 100%. So, staying up late after she goes to bed makes less sense to me. She only naps for any hour if at all so, I usually have household chores to do at that time. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Kelly502

Asked by Kelly502 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree with it depends on how much time you are spending. You do need some time to yourself and it is prob good for her to entertain herself too good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Your life doesn't end when you have a child. If she is safe and sound and does her things (like watching TV, colouring, etc.) than why on the Earth you couldn't do your stuff if you are in the house, she is safe and sound and she is doing her thing anyway. If you can keep the balance to be with her and do your own things than I don't see any problem with that. Children needs some alone time as well as parents during the day.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It really depends on how much you spending time interacting with her compared to the computer.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 11:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think its fine as long as you are also interacting with her and not just having her on the leapster or watching shows. I always allowed a little bit of the electronic stuff, coloring etc, and then did stuff one on one with them as well. You should be doing as much with her as you are spending on here is my opinion.

Answer by gemgem at 11:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'm on my laptop right now, DD is sitting next to me watching a show, DS is playing with his toys on the floor. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i dont think ur selfish every mom needs mom time , going shopping , a walk or just sitting by ur self , so dont feel guilty for being on ur laptop when she is enjoying her playing time .
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Your child doesn't need your constant attention and you don't stop having a life when you have a kid. As I'm typing my 8mo is happily playing on the floor next to me. My other 4 kids are off doing their own thing (the 10yo is watching TV in another room but the other 3--who are 9, 8 and 5--are outside playing with friends). If they need/want my attention they know where to find me. I have never sat and entertained my kids. That's their job and they are happy to play on their own.
    Oops, now I have to go because the 8mo is getting into the xbox controllers, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Na how come? Doing every other thing & taking out a lil time for oneself can never be a selfish thing..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thanks everyone for your thoughtful answer, I feel better about it now
    Kelly502

Comment by Kelly502 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011