Question for SAHM's: How often do you and your children go places?

I'm worried about my kids not getting out of the house/backyard often enough. So, how often do you go places and do things with your children? Do you take them every time you go grocery shopping? Do you run errands with them every day?
My kids get out a couple times a week (not school aged yet). Is this enough? I feel like they aren't experiencing the world around them enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When they were little...rarely. I had 3 under 3 and until they were like 3, 4 and 5 I rarely went out with them. It was too stressful. We didn't even go in the yard because our backyard wasn't safe for them (lots of rocks and debris...it was my dad's house) and it was too hard to keep track of them in the front yard. We'd go out to eat with my husband once a week at least but that was about it.
    They are 10, 9 and 8 now and have suffered no ill-effects form not doing anything as babies/toddlers.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I like to try and do something, even if just a walk to the park in the warmer months. But you can always look for local mom groups with playdates and such.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think the bulk of my problem is that I have 4 under 4.....we went in the front yard (not fenced) and they WERE ALL OVER THE PLACE. I was really worried they were going to run into the street or something. In the backyard we have free reign because it's fenced. We go out everyday granted that it's above 50/60's....just as long as it's not so cold a sweater wouldn't be ok.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Almost every day. Usually I take them to a playground, and indoor bounce house place, waterpark, pool, on a playdate...whatever. On the days that we don't go some place fun for them we are usually out doing errands...grocery shopping, Costco, haircuts, etc.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• At that age it is enough. My youngest is 6 and I take her everywhere, but I have always taken all my kids with me. I was a single mom awhile and didnt have a choice. When they were 3-4 I put them in pre-k (closer to 4 or at 4) so they could socialize. Other then that they went with us to dinner, or to a game if their brothers/sister were doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My DS (almost 4) goes to preschool twice a week. Next school year, he and ODD (almost 3) will be going to preschool 3 days a week. I also have a 1 year old DD. We do playdates for DD's once a week, and we also go to the park. I do take them with me when I run errands, but if it's a big errand, I usually wait til DH is home from work, since they are all so young. We also try to do a "family day" atleast once a week, plus my kids to karate on Saturdays...So they get out a few days a week...
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• we do stuff all the time but I am only looking out for one 4 yrold, I couldnt imagine doing much with four under 4. I think you're doing pretty great with what you're doing. our library has activities for kiddies every saturday, check your's to see if they do too. It would be a great way to get the socialized and an early love for books.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• We go to the library for story time on Tuesdays. We walk to the store and play in the park on Wednesdays. Then we go visit my parents on Fridays. The other days we play outside in our yard.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• When i had 3 under 6 I also took care of 2 others under 6 so I had 5 under 6 and we did go outside for structured games and we would go to the park but the thing is to set rules before doing anything. like before leaving the house get down to the little ones and tell them what you expect and if they don't listen it is time for a time out and set up a spot they will know is their time out spot.
    say to them " we are going to go kick around this ball but if you don't run with mommy and you go out in the street your sitting on the step for a time out"
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I hardly ever leave my home without DD. Even when she's in school (she is 5 now and has been going to pre-school since 2.5) or tumbling (started Mommy & Me at 17 months and went on from there) I wait until she's out to go to the store or library or anywhere really. If the weather is nice, I'll often take her to parks or splash pads and if it's not nice, I'll often take her to indoor play areas. Then there's all the other things in between. We don't have many days through the week where we just sit around the house...and haven't since DD was a baby, as I always wanted her to experience anything and everything she could.

I post on my FB statuses what we do and have been told by other moms that I either do too much or I make them jealous of what all we do. DD enjoys it and it makes her happy and, at this point, that's all that matters to me. I'm sure when she's in school all day M-F, things will change, but until then...F-U-N!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2011