Take it to the grave...

The Egyptians buried their dead with their most precious possessions in hopes that they would accompany the spirit to the afterlife. What would you want your family to bury you with? What possessions ,if any, would you want to carry into the next life IF you could?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• A bottle of mead. And if anyone put a snuggie in there I'd have to come back and haunt them.

More seriously - when my mom died, one of her childhood friends put a letter to her own mother in the casket and asked my mom to "deliver it" for her. I think the idea behind that is sweet, even though I don't share the same beliefs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Honestly, nothing....My most prized possession are my husband and children.... but it does seem to be normal to be cremated...and held until the rest of the family passes then they are cremated and everyone is then mixed together.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Once you are deceased material things don't mean much and even when we are alive they are just possessions.

Answer by older at 12:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• They could add a small lock of hair from each of my children to my ashes before they spread them.

Thats about the only thing I could think of Id want coming with me. In truth, I dont need anything cuz the important stuff will remain here and continue their journey.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If I had the same mind frame as the ancient Egyptians, I would want to be buried with a time capsule of sorts. I would want photos of my loved ones, a couple of my favorite toys from childhood, my charm bracelet that my husband designed for me, a sample of the precious works of art my kids have created for me over the years, the love notes my husband and I exchanged during high school and my collection of books.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• lets say hypothetically those were my beliefs as well (they aren;t but anyyways)...
    I'd take a picture of my children and maybe by then my grandchildren, and things that held meaning.
    forexample say i died tomorrow: i'd love to have a drawing my oldest drew, a recording of my 3 month old laughing, things like that. a shamrock to remind me of my papa...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Bury me with tunes and a cell phone so I can call to let everyone know what is on the other side. *grin*

However, I plan on being cremated, so it would be pointless to include anything. They could PLAY some hard rocking tunes while I'm cooking.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Does my son count as a possession? I hate thinking of being seperated from him.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 12:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I dont want to be buried... I want to be cremated. And I dont want anything with me. I believe that this body is a wonderful gift but it is not ME. I will go on... my soul will go on.

The body is just a shell not being used anymore so why bother burying it and wasting space, why bother buyring it and obligating someone to visit it, why burying ANYthing with it when those items could be used, or given to charity. Seems a waste.

Anonymous

• Nothing. I would rather my family use and enjoy my favorite possessions. I would like a box of good books though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011