Can Narcissims and Selfishness be a result of too much Nurturing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes. So many parents make it all about the kids they grow up to think that is how it should always be. My kids are well loved and nurtured but not to the point they are emotionally retarded in their growth as a person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Nurturing, no. Not setting boundaries, and allowing your child to think that everything, every time, is about them, and that they should always get what they want, always get their way, and never have to follow rules, share, or etc, yes.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• no it is probably from lack of it...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Nurturing, no. Spoiling, yes. There is a difference.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No. Psychologically speaking I learned in psych class that people with Narcissistic personality disorder are raised by other people with NPD, 70% in fact. Sociopathic tendencies is a what some may consider a form of selfishness but is a personality trait of someone with NPD. They can mimic people who do not have the disorder, in reality these people feel little emotion. They can however feel negative emotion which is why so many end up being hurtful people.

Answer by gemgem at 12:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No. It is too little nurturing, abuse, or torture that causes narcissisms and selfishness.

It is sad because people, by withholding attention from their children, actually cause the selfish conditions that they fear most.

I have worked with many people who have had personality disorders . . . . . the only commonality was abuse and/or neglect.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No, not genuine, healthy nurturing. It can be the result of over indulgence, excessive disingenuous praise, enmeshment, making a child a "little spouse" which goes along with enmeshment, or neglect.

It can even happen when the parent simply can't meet certain needs through no fault of thier own, if there is no one else to meet those needs.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No---it is just the opposite. Nacissism is the result of a fragile person whose basic needs (such as being nutured and loved) were ignored.
    Selfishness is a whole other thing. That comes from parents not setting a good example and not showing their kids how to share and think of other people's feelings.etc.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would not call being enmeshed or controlling a child nurturing. To be a nurturing person you understand the developmental and emotional needs of your child. There is a big difference between being a nurturer and being overly involved in every aspect of that chid's life. To nurture a child you realize you never do what your child can do for themselves, you track (not dictate) their interests and passions. A truly selfish parent would not necessarily see their child as a unique person but as how that child represents them. A parent who "over" nutures is not really nurturing that child at all. They are simply fullfilling a need they have as a person - which I guess you could conclude as being selfish. But it's not that easy. Most adults do not realize they are trying to heal their inner selves by "fixing" their child. Sometimes the lines are blurred between what we do for our child and what we do for us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think so, i love my kids.Love& evrything that i never had as a kid is all that I give them and sometimes they just seem so ungratefull. I love my babies& i hope i can fix that before they get any older.
    Anonymous