At what age should a person start to work?

Although there are youth labor laws, is it beneficial for the young to start work while young? They may have chores around the house, or be mature enough to work in a public setting. At what age and what type of work do you think a person should start working?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• At 16. My kids know they have to get jobs then and they have. There is more to life then chores. I dont care if my kids can do dishes if they dont have a house to have dinner in. Mine start paying for all their things (exras) at 16. They pay their own cell bill, car insurance, and what not. I think this gives them life skills so they can learn to budget their money. That way at 18 when they are turned lose into the world they understand the value of a dollar.
    I do give them basic needs though, clothes, food, shelter, and I either give them my car (and get a new one for me) or they buy one for themselves if mine isnt good enough.

Answer by gemgem at 12:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• my daughter is 16 and she has the choice of finding a volunteer job or a paying one.... or not having ANY social life. It is time for her to jump into the working world and learn.

Anonymous

• When they are about 16 and can handle the responsibility of maintaining a good GPA and working. In my house, if you don't have a B average...no work of DL.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think that children start working when they are old enough to rake leaves, mow lawns and shovel snow. It teaches them work ethics, pride in earning their own money and how to spend and save wisely. My sons started their own lawn care/snow shoveling "business" when my oldest son (now 24) was 13 and his brothers were 12, 9 and 8. They did a fantastic job and people loved having them do their lawn mowing, leave raking and snow shoveling. The summer in between their 10th and 11th grade years for 3 (they were 16 and 17) and in between his 11th and 12th grade year (he was 16, he turned 17 a few days after he started the 12th grade...he was unable to work the summer in between 10th and 11th grade because he was only 15) my sons started working 20-30 hours a week (less during the school year and more during school breaks).
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• for me 14 but thats when i started to work
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It depends on the state. But here in PA you can get your working papers at 14, so I feel that's when you should start working. I was even younger than that... But 14 is a good age. I believe a good work ethic is the most important thing to arm children with before they go out in the world... Education is awesome, but it's easily wasted if you can't find work. A good work ethic will ALWAYS come in handy no matter if you're working for minimum wage or making Billions a year.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• 15 is when you can get a workers permit. That's when I started my very first job, and by age 16 I had MORE opportunities open, for more ppl hired 16 yos, and work experience behind me. I got the hell out of McDonlads as soon as I turned 16. lol
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I wanted to work right when I turned 16 but my parents refused to let me work. SO I got my first real job at 25 which sucks.
    Anonymous

• Not all children can handle working and keeping their grades up in school. It is up to the individual child and the child's parents to make that decision. And it doesn't always help with "work ethic" to start work early. Some children that are forced to work at age 15/16 to pay for their "stuff" resent having had to work so early and then don't work later in life. It is all on how it is handled.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• my mom told me that if i got a job...then got grounded i wouldnt be able to work. so i didnt bother getting a job. im now 19 and my daughter is 7 months most likely about to divorce (multiple reasons...but hubby told me he didnt want me to work and im a traditional kind of girl so i was completely fine with it) so i need a job. but with no job experience and no volunteer experience im kinda really screwed.
    i say 16. although i think if they show maturity to be able to keep their grades up along with work then i say go for it (not younger then 14 though)
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 6:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2011