first time mom needs helllllp!

my daughter is 5 1/2 months old. shes always been a very independent baby..likes to play on the floor with her toys. shes been crawling since 4 1/2 months. never been one to be too needy or want to be held too much. cries when she needs food or a changing then shes back to doin her thing lol but lately she never wants me to put her down, been extremely whiney, doesnt want to play and is having major sleeping issues. shes slept through the night since she was 2 months old..yes i was lucky ha but now she wakes up like every 2 hours cause she looses her passi which she never used to use before to sleep either until lately. and since shes never sleeping i never get sleep and im exhausted. my boyfriend works 3rd shift so its just me all night and pretty much all day until 3pm. any advice, help, anything? . helllllp please.

sarrrr13

Asked by sarrrr13 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was the same. It's probably just a stage or teething. My son slept through the night from 6 weeks, but whenever he was teething, he'd wake up at night for like a week, then go back to his normal sleeping through. As for the being needy, that happened too. I forget when it happened, but he went from being a content little baby to whining all the time. That passed too. I don't really have any advice, just hang in there and it should pass.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• it could be teething,when she wakes up the first time in the night,get up with her let her play for about an hour,then she will go right back to sleep all night,mine does this recetly also
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son did a similar thing (a little later), when he started teething. We had tried almost everything, and then my sister recommended teething tablets. We got them at the Walmart pharmacy department (also sold in the infant dept), and I've seen them in other stores too. Your pharmacist should be able to help. They were a God send! He got all 4 front teeth within a day of each other, and these things helped!
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 10:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• WOW it's like it's me talking LOL. I'm going through the same thing, not so much the clingy part..but i've read that babies at 6 months go through a growth spurt, it changes them drastically not just phsically either! it's mentally too..they also start to want "mommy" more, my son is doing this right now too. The sleep is exactly the same..I've been told just after 6 months thing's settle down..other's mommy's have told me this. So all I can do is hang in there, and keep on keepin on...I just try to give him as much love and attn as I can! OH and yes, could be teething too!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 10:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• it could be a growth spurt and/or teething.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It could be either a growth spurt or teething. The only advice I can give you is be patient, she'll get back to her easy-going self when the teeth pop or the growth slows back down. Until then, just get through. Sleep when she sleeps. Hang in there mama!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My child also used to be more independant and sleep through the night. For us it was definitely teething. Also keep your eyes peeled for signs of a cold or ear infections. Trying tylenol if she seems uncomfortable, orajel(mine hates that stuff) and a teething ring if you think that's what is might be. otherise hold on and hope this phase passes before you drop dead from lack of sleep.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 12:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My DD is the same age and she's not sleeping well anymore either. She used to sleep the night now I feed her 2-3 just to comfort her and get her back to sleep. I'm gonna try those teether tablets everyones talking about.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'd agree with the growth spurt and teething comments. I think you'll just have to revert to the way things were in the beginning for a little while: sleep when she sleeps, and don't worry about the housework! Try to work her back into a schedule in little bits (the whole keeping-the-house-light-in-the-day-and-dark-at-night thing). You're going to be tired for awhile, but hopefully she'll get back to normal soon! Just another joy of parenting! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Check out www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous