I had a baby on the 17th of Jan

and have not had a period yet I do breastfeed but I also breast feed my other 2 children and this never happened do u think am preggers or is this the norm?

luvz2bmama

Asked by luvz2bmama at 12:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Take a test. You could be pregnant or you could just not have a period because of the breastfeeding. The only way to know for sure is to take a test.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'm sure you know this, but breastfeeding is NOT birth control. If you are worried the only real way of knowing is to take a test.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think everyone is different. When I'm breastfeeding, I don't have a period at all. But like Ginger said above, it's not birth control so you can still get pregnant.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i breast feed and havent had a period since my dd was born.. (14 weeks ago).. heard its very normal not to get one, and i kniw im not preggers because haven't had sex in several months
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It is usually the norm. My OB says if you get a cycle before baby is three months old, come in and be checked. The hormones needed for breastfeeding do suppress the ones needed to get pregnant for awhile, but it doesn't last and is not reliable. If you've had sex you can get pregnant.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• its usually the normal thing not to have a period after childbirth if you are exclusively breastfeeding. However unlike what all of these people are saying it DOES work as birth control up to six months IF you are exclusively breastfeeding and getting up at LEAST once a night to feed. Its not as good as hormonal birth control, but its rather along the lines of a diaphragm. I don't know the exact numbers. If you are worried about it, I would just see my doctor!
    rachelv817

Answer by rachelv817 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Like rachelv said, breastfeeding and birth control are a timed effort. You must bf between the hours of 1-3 am in order for the protection to occur, and you must be breastfeeding exclusively, that means all the time, not formula here and there.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2011