Do you use disinfecting wipes like clorox wipes on your kids hands

my son had a teacher tell him he should use them to keep germs off his hands and I told her that would be putting harmful chemicals onto his hands and then if he ate something with his hands those chemicals would go in his mouth.
she realized my point and stopped telling parents to use the wipes for hands.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• What a moron. Scary that a teacher is advising directly against what the product label itself says. Although I did have a woman tell me she 'sometimes used them on the babys bottom:..The are no words for that kind of idiocy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• OMG NO. Those are for wiping down tables and counters only. When I taught I was not even ALLOWED to have students help wipe down tables, for they could not touch the wipes. WTF is wrong with that teacher?

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• NO WAY! I would be up in arms if anyone even tried that or did that with any of my dids. Clorox? How would anyone think that was even safe or good for them? Most of the time warm water and soap do the job.

Answer by gemgem at 12:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No I dont I think the same thing as you...but I do use the "wet ones" wipes on my hands and my kids too.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• That's nuts. I use them for their intended purpose, and if I need to disinfect their hands we use soap and water. They use hand sanitizer at the elementary school for the kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Absolutely not....I don't use them at all, toxic chemicals on the hands or on any surface in my house is not going to happen.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree with that ! arent those just for surfaces ?
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Ew, no. That's gross. You're supposed to wash your hands after using them and wipe the counter down with water to get rid of the chemicals (not that I do--I just wait until it dries). Have you ever accidentally put your hand by your mouth after using one. Blech. I only use them to clean up spilled meat products for the most part. And to clean the bathroom.
    I use regular baby wipes (lotions and fragrance free) to clean my kids hands and faces. Love those things.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Abso-freaking-lutely NOT. I do use them on my hands if I'm desperate, but I wash them as soon as I possibly can.
    Anonymous

• No way. I would use an antibacterial soap or an alcohol based gel.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011