My four year old son is peeing everywhere but the toilet :(

He literally pee'd on the dog this morning. I dont know what to do. HELP!!!!

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you never swatted his little butt?
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Have you talked to him about that and how that's not proper behavior? Did hee get any kind of punishment for that? Such as a time out or a privilage such as video games or computer time taken away? He needs consequences to his actions.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Have you tried the cheerios in the toilet trick? Maybe he will start using the toilet more if you make it a game at first. Did he used to go in the potty but now won't?
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• He doesnt do this all the time. He does go in the toilet for the biggest part of the time. But more and more im finding him going other placed. Ive tried time outs...ive even taken away his favorite toys. Still does it.l
    jmgblair10

Comment by jmgblair10 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• boys like to think they have little hoses and thinks it is just a toy just give him time outs when he does it and when he is done with his time out make him say he is sorry for peeing on the dog or whatever and eventually he will hate peeing on the dog, it all takes time and patience
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Like I said try the cheerios in the toilet thing or you can even buy some little pee things that are made just for little boys. If you don't know what I am talking about with the cheerios you put some in the toilet and then have him see if he can aim at them when going to the potty it has worked for other parents maybe it will work for you. GL momma.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• @Bamzakarat Thank you sounds like a really good idea. Also going to try timeouts Thanks @wheresthewayout :)
    jmgblair10

Comment by jmgblair10 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i would sit down with him for a day. have him sit at the toliet until he goes (moving the potty chair infront of tv is best, be sure to have books and toys around to keep him on it). when he goes the first time he gets 20 mins to freely play, then its back to the potty, next when he goes give him 40, then an hour. .keep it at am hour the rest of the day. the next day start with an hour then add 15 minutes from there.. by day two end he should be telling you when he has to go.. worked for my dd

punishments seldom work with potty training can can make the process longer
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• This is what I did when my son consistently "missed" the toilet. I handed him a spray bottle (of water) and some paper towels. I told him I am so sorry you had an accident and when we have those accidents we learn how to clean them up. I also told him he knows how to change his clothes and his hamper is in the bedroom. He cried and said he was just a little kid and can't change himself. I let him know I know he is perfectly capable of getting naked - he has done it many times before for the fun of it. Yes I had to clean up after him, after he did his clean up, but the point was for him to be inconvenience.  I treated it like an accident even though I knew it was not.  Two times he cleaned it up and that was the end of that.  If it continues there is an actual disorder called enuresis where inappropriate urination takes place.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My thought for my son was to first try to teach him how to clean his "accidents" up and to know I was not responsible for it - he is. I even told him I was concerned and if it continues I will take him to the doctor to see if something medical was going on. This did not go over well for him. I explained sometimes kids can't help but pee and have accidents but there is a medical cause for the accidents. Then I knew if it was ruled not a medical issue and the behavior continued we had to look at the emotional/mental health perspective. So if it hadn't cleared, we saw the doctor and no medical problem, then off to a counselor we would go. Thankfully it was twice cleaning it up and that was more than enough. I never needed to take things away, use time out, or give a lecture. I prefer the gentle correction with compassion and a little bit of creativity and logic.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2011