I HAVE A 17 YR OLD AND I GIVE HER EVERYTHING SHE ASKS FOR CUZ SHE IS A GOOD GIRL SHE DONT HAVE A BOY FRIEND , HAS GOOD GRADES , STAYS HOME AND READS ALL THE TIME BUT WHEN I TRY TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH HER SHE HAS A ATTITUDE AND IT REALLY HURTS ME CUZ I WOULD GIVE THE WORLD IF I WOULD BE ABLE TOO . SHE IS THE BABY OF FIVE KIDS

hugs

frances693

Asked by frances693 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well it sounds like you spoil her, even if she is well behaved, but she isn't that well behaved if she can't even show proper respect to you. Time to spoil her another way....by teaching her that if you want things you life you have to EARN them and not have them handed to you. Time for her to get a job, help around the house, pay for her own things, and possibly help out with paying a bill or two.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• yes so true , she has tryed to get a job but it is so hard ,
    frances693

Comment by frances693 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think that sounds like me because Im the youngest of five kids and when i was seventeen my mom use to baby me and just like you she would give me the world. My mom would ask me things and I would get a attitude wit her but I looked at it from her side she was givin me every and anything but I couldnt jus hold a conversation with her. So she wouldnt say anything to me and that broke me out of that and now I am 23 and we get along just fine and i can talk to her about anything.And no matter how old I get I know I will always be da baby gurl.
    Mz.Cookie174

Answer by Mz.Cookie174 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• have you asked her why? Good luck sorry that must hurt
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• thats funny cuz i just told her that i was going to give her the $1200 she needs the the rest of the yr for school and not to ask me for anything else cuz the same way she cant talk to me i was not going to talk to her
    frances693

Comment by frances693 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• my youngest daughter just turned 18 a few weeks ago and I can't give her anything and she ignores me....so I'm going to say this is just the stage in their life where their peers come first and moms come last. my 19 yr old acted the same way from 17 until she turned 19. college always shapes them up or maybe it is being in the real world that shapes up.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• thanks she is going to collage and i hope when she comes to visit we get along better cuz i know im going to be lost when she is gone
    frances693

Comment by frances693 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No worries that is the stage they are going thru now I also have a 17 year old boy and like you I gave him everything from the top of the line toys and electronic's and he has been to Europe, Australlia, 5 Cruises and Vegas multiple times and he still treats me like shit. He doesn't cuse at me but he doesn't do what I ask him to do around the house in a timely fashion.
    He talks back and is lazy doesn't obey curfew either so I am trying to deal with this everyday and its a very hard and ongoing task but stick to it. Girls are different they mostly get attitudes but it will get better and I know you get hurt because I do to and can't figure out why he treats me this way. Now I just ignore him and he gets mad now...he don't like the shoe being on the other foot...
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011