Ever wonder why you feel so scatter-brained when pregnant?

I dunno about y'all but when I was pregnant with my kids I'd swear my child would steal my brain cells, making me dumber. I recently found out, then did a google search, that a mother's brain does shrink during the final trimester of pregnancy. The theories as to why vary. The mom that told me said it was because blood that would normally go to Mom's brain gets rerouted to the baby instead. Some of the articles say it's a shrinkage of cells in general, not loss of volume.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I call it the Mommy Dummy Syndrome
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I don't remember anything like that. I worked up until 1 week before my youngest was born. I remember being tired a lot, but not scatterbrained.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• does that mean the more kids you have the dumber you get? lol I have 4 so I hope not!!! lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• LOL I don't know CABlonde. I do know from personal experience though, I'd be searching frantically for my car keys all over the house one handed because the "missing" keys were in my other hand. There were also days when I had a hard time remembering my own name when I was pregnant with either one of my kids.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My brain must shrink more then the average, because it's amazing I can even remember how to walk by the end of my pregnancies. And it doesn't start in just the 3rd trimester I'm in my second now and even SO has looked at me and asked "did you fall on a stupid stick or something?" He was joking of course, but I sure feel like I did! Just yesterday I couldn't figure out why my kitchen was so warm. It was like a drastic temperature difference from my kitchen to my living room and I was stumped for 4 hours. It was then I realized my stove was on at 450 degrees and wide open from when I had removed dinner 5 hours prior but never shut or turned the stove off. Yeah, by next trimester I'm screwed.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Its weird because i wasn't scatter-brained at all with baby #1. here I am, prego again and in my 2nd tri and my husband fears leaving me alone i'm so crazy. I can't remember left from right, left the stove on and oven on multipe times, i've forgotten to go in to work because i don't know what day it is! I'm usually so on the ball and organized it makes me want to go hide for the next few months! haha
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2011