Does your mother put down how you parent and always interfere?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 1:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• YES! I don't know how many times I've had to tell my mom to butt out and let me discipline my own kids, IN MY HOUSE no less. My mother (who didn't raise me) demands instant obedience of all children, regardless of age, and will yell at them when the either don't listen to her or don't comply immediately.

My MIL though is one of the best resources I have when my kids baffle me. She's raised 6 kids, ran an in-home daycare when my husband was a child, has an ECE degree and is a preschool teacher. She only offers advice if she REALLY thinks you need to hear it (rarely) or if you ask her for her opinion.

I go to my MIL for info/advice before I go to my own mother.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No, my mom is great, but my MIL does act like that. My kids really pick up on it and they don't even like being around her anymore.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• She doesn't necessarily put down how I parent but she does interfere sometimes and it drives me nuts. If I give restrictions or instructions on how I want my daughter taken care of or disciplined that is what I expect. There has been times that I have disciplined my daughter and my mother would either sit there and give me a weird or dirty look or she would intervene. I am the mother I have say over how I raise my child. Don't get me wrong she is a wonderful mother but now that I am one myself and they are here grandchildren I think it's only fair that I be listened to.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No. My mil does though.

Answer by gemgem at 1:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No my mom says I am a great mommy but my MIL thinks she knows what is best for my DD's and how I should raise them and how and what they should eat (when she doesn't eat healthy herself) and oh my fav is if I cut their hair she will flip plum out on my DH , he finally told her to mind her own business that she should look at how she raised her DD and think twice before telling me how to raise mine.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• when I had my 1st kid she was on my case about alot of things, like she would take her out to lunch and come back with her saying I need to feed her more often because she was starving and ate her food way to fast ... well that daughter has compulsive issues due to her autism, she wolfs down everything like it is her last chance at eating. my mom only saw things the way she wanted to see them.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• That's my MIL. I'm going to hang out with my mom to get away from her awhile.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• she doesnt put me down, but at times i wish she wasnt there to step in to sooth my dd when shes in trouble. it makes putting her in time out not worth it when granda sneaks her a cookie
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My MIL does. She told me the day after my son was born that i was going to fail as a mother. And it's been downhill since then. I say this is how it will be done and she does the opposite on purpose. Needless to say, we don't spend too much time around the ILs.
    My parents live far away so we don't see them much. But when we do my mom doesn't say much of anything. Actually if i try to ask her advise I feel like I have to drag it out of her.
    ikkin510

Answer by ikkin510 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• thats what mothers and mother in laws are known for! some do, some don't
    that is sooooooooooooo annoying. just tell her how to drive, she'll get the hint
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 2:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2011