Do you think???

Do you think that women who are pregnant when entering the prison system should be aloud to keep there babies in the prison once they give Birth?? Yes or No and reason behind it???

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 1:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• it's such a tough question. I've seen shows about women in prison and some prisons had a ward for moms and their babies. I think that environment may not be the best for the baby, but at least mommy and baby are able to have a strong bond, instead of just visits.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes, They are more likely to reform their ways and get out and NOT commit crimes again.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No, it is no environment for a child.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I heard once, nursery in jail facilities cost about $24,000 /yr/infant... This money comes from correctional facilities rehabilitation fund.... Not from child services... I think if the trend were to increase, this would take away from programs that are set up to "rehabilitate" others. Plus, if they are in jail beyond 18 months~ the child has to go into fostercare if there isn't a family member to care. That may be worse in the long run for baby and mom. Tough situation.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Oh sure, like PRISON is a great place to raise a kid
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• ALLOWED ?
    I don't know.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No, I don't.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It's a no win. If you separate them, the child has no relationship with the mother, and if there isn't someone there ready to become their full-time caregiver, they are likely to end up with all the same attachment problems as other kids torpedoed into the system from birth. If you don't separate them, you have to provide a safe environment for them in the center of what amounts to a hostile environment. Either way, kid is screwed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• No, I don't - for reasons already stated above.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Not while they're in prison as it's no place to raise a child!! Depending on how long the mother is incarcerated IMO should determine whether said child should be allowed to be reunited with their mother upon her release. If it's a matter of months, then there IS an opportunity for the mother to use the birth of their child as an incentive to turn their life around, and make a decent life for themselves and their child.

While finishing out her sentence, the mother should work towards finishing her education, and taking parenting classes, so that upon her release she can TRY and look for gainful employment (won't be easy). I honestly don't feel a lot of sympathy for pregnant women who end up in prison, as OBVIOUSLY the poor choices they made that landed them in prison in the first place mean that they weren't exactly looking out for their unborn child!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011