2 yr old with an imaginary friend??? is that norm?

My friends lil girl has an imaginary friend, she just turned 2. I am kind of disturbed by this because she is so young. Is this just normal and i dont know???

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 1:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmm..... it is normal, the kids are very imaginative, perhaps she only talks to herself & you feel that she might have a friend in her mind.......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 1:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Seems a little young, but I don't suppose it's out of the question. Of course people like psychic Sylvia Browne says they aren't imaginary friends but ghosts, spirits or even the childs spirit guide that they are actually seeing and talking with.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Her daughter says her imaginary friend has a name, and they talk and play.
    The "friend's" name is MONSTER. At 1st she was scared of monster for a month, now they play and are friends....
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I personally believe that a child can see things like spirits and such. Like Mom2Jack04 described.

But, if you are not one to believe that then yes it is normal for children even that age to have imaginary friends.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• normal for some children
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think it is fine, at least she entertains herself and she has a great imagination too! Why would that be a bad thing??? Kids are growing up too fast these days and most cannot entertain themselves let alone have any imagination.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• sounds normal to me wouldn't be too worried about it right now
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I see it as using her imagination. Every kid would be like that if they didn't have action figures and dolls to attribute the personality to. My son calls out for his toys when he has misplaced them :)
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Completely normal. She is exercising her imagination, her independence, and her desire to control her environment. Only worry if "Monster" starts "telling" her to do bad things- when the friend becomes an excuse for bad behavior it is a problem, but not if it's just someone for her to play with who always does what SHE wants to do :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• that is a very young creative mind
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011