My philodendron has mold on the soil

I LOVE my philodendron b/c I can't hardly kill it. It's the easiest houseplant. Well I also have a angel wing begonia, a mini rose, and am starting coleus.

My philodendron has mold on soil. Not anywhere else. I don't over water it (at least I don't think I do) and I'm not sure what to do.

My very new starting coleus sprouts also have mold on their soil. And I am really hoping they will make it. They still look good and so does the philodendron.

These plants are in pots side by side and my other plants are in another spot. Maybe the spot has something to do with it but they get sun and the air in our house is REALLY dry b/c of our area and the wood stove that we forget to keep water on usually.

If anyone has any ideas. I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 1:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Mold on the soil generally won't hurt anything, but it's almost always from being kept too wet. I'd back off on the watering a bit and see if that helps. OR- you could change to a different soil that holds less moisture. I keep all my plants in a granite chip, pine bark, kitty litter mix, and they have gone crazy since switching. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It is from overwatering. Remove the soil you have with the plant and replace it with fresh potting soil. While mold may not hurt the plant, it's not something you want growing in your home.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think you overwater it. Pots should be placed on saucers and only watered when the saucer & soil looks dry, approx 1 time a week. Rake/mix up the soil on the top of the pot and don't water until the soil looks dry. Water more often in the summer & less in the winter. It will be fine though. Mold doesn't kill a plant, but over watering does.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thanks you guys. I have been watering once a week and I think I'll quit putting it on a schedule and only water when the top layer is dry.
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2011