AMERICAN ENGLISH & CANADIAN ENGLISH - NOT ALL WORDS SPELLED THE SAME!

Ok, this not a question this is an educational statement! this to let ppl know, who don't know, that not all words are spelled the same. I was corrected on a word I used which was spelled correctly, but not the American spelling......as I am not American! and then I was told I was wrong? & that it was wrong!? seriously??? in such an ignorant tone I couldn't believe it.

For ppl who don't know here are some examples:
Color - Colour
Gray - Grey
Neighbor - Neighbour
theater - theatre
ETC. ETC. ETC.

So STOP correcting ppl when you see this as we are not all American & there is more then one dictionary in the world.
Thank you.....PLS BUMP...................... keep this going!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in

• I've said for a long time now that people should knock it off about the spelling due to the fact that not everyone here is American and some people are trying their best to use a language that is not their first language and we should not bash them in their attempt. Thank you for pointing out that for SOME people their 'corrections' are correcting something that already IS correct.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Just an FYI... that's not just the Canadian spelling... it's also the English (British) spelling of things.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I know....the British Isles English spelling is the same as Canadian......Colour. Favour , as opposed to American's spelling of color, favor,etc. Things like that.
    So, you are saying that people accuse others of bad spelling just because they use the Britsh/Canadian spelling? Hmmmmm. Ignorant,huh?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I get those spellings as I read a lot of English authors. Those I don't mind and would never correct. The ones that get me are the posts that come out reading as uneducated for all the spelling errors, "Ebonics", and "text talk".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• oh finally someone is saying it Thank you so much, Ive been bashed so much for spelling mistakes, bad grammer:( and unless you write your question perfect it goes unanswered and I get bashed..
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 5:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Just ignore those that think they are better than everyone else, because they are not. The Canadian/British spelling of words sometimes makes more sense than the American spelling.

I am with the poster that said that text talk and ebonics is what is most irritating. I tend to skip posts that text talk. I can handle misspellings and most grammatical errors, except for posts that have no punctutation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• bump
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• yes you are right Crafty26!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• PLEASE BUMP
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• EXACTLY LAYH41407!!! I HOPE THAT TROLL THAT WAS RUDE AND THOUGHT SHE WAS OH SO CORRECT GETS IT THROUGH HER THICK IGNORANT HEAD. KEEP BUMPING PLS!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2011