Potty training

I cant seem to get my son to be interested in the potty at all. I am a single mom with no help and I really cant seem to do it. My son woke up at 8am I made him breakfast ect., I decided to try the bottoms off method and at 10 am as soon as i went to get something to drink he peed on the carpet...so i thought ill try putting big boy underwear on him because it will feel wet...well at 10:45 he pooped in his underwear...he never even missed a beat (he gives absolutely no visual signs he is going to poop) so I cleaned him up and mad him sit on the potty from 11-2 (yes that's right 3 whole hours) and he never peed or anything...we watched potty training videos on youtube and even despicable me on the laptop while in there and at 2 he was rubbing his eyes so I decided to put him down for a nap and i put a diaper on him and as soon as I did he peed in the diaper...i just put him to bed and read a story and sat down on my couch and cried. I just don't know what to do. He will be 3 in september btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I keep telling other moms on here to try the cheerios in the toilet for their little boys. If you try putting cheerios in the toilet and show him to aim at them kind of make it into a game maybe then he will be interested. Also I did rewards with my daughter when we first started potty training. Every time she went pee she would get one animal cracker or something of that nature (my daughter happened to like tic tacs lol), when she would poop in the toilet she would get two of whatever the reward was. Gl momma.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 3:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Don't stress yourself about something so minor. You have a lot of other things that are more serious to be concerned about. Just keep trying to get him to use the potty, if he does that is great and wonderful, if he doesn't oh well tomorrow is another day. Good Luck
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 3:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Google "toilet training readiness" and look over the links. He may not be ready yet.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Don't make it into a power struggle , he hold all the power. He needs to want to. Potty training is self taught, just like walking. You cannot force a 1 yo to walk, you encourage and motivate, eventually they get it. What if you tried to force a child to walk? Every time they crawled you stood them up you were always pressuring them, it would be a power struggle. If it is a daycare issue normally you don't have to have them potty trained until 3. I used to tell my toddlers when we were changing," diapers are for babies. When you are big you will use the potty like mommy!" Everything about the potty was couched in positive big kid terms and every time we talked about diapers they were for babies. Not degrading or angry just the facts. When we saw litter babies i would point out they wore diaper and when we saw big boys I said they wore big boy underwear. Take a breath, cut yourself (&him)some slack, it will happen.

pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011