What is the best book of gifted children parenting?

My son Matthew who's 4 years old has been tested as highly gifted , and my husband and I really stuggle to keep a fair education for him without making our other children feel different. I think we've been doing a good job so far tho , but I'd like to read a good book about this that can help me a little more.

rachelb11

Asked by rachelb11 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I really don't understand your question. I have a 11 yo who is highly gifted and a 9 yo who is gifted. I don't treat them any differently, I just make sure they have access to materials that pique their interest. They get special attention in school and get pull out services for AG. They have special opportunities afterschool and I always make sure I supplement what they are learning in school, but I don't ever want to push either one of them - I've seen too many "gifted" kids burn out in highschool!

Answer by missanc at 5:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thats true... The thing is that we're so new to all of this and its a litle confusing. I mean my son hasn't changed but we've been told to do a lot of stuff for him that we don't want to leave out our other children.
    rachelb11

Comment by rachelb11 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• What are the school options in your area? If you are in Chicago, I will be happy to walk you through the process.

You should definitely join one of the CafeMom groups for moms of Gifted.

The Center for Talent Development is a great resource:  http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011