How do I get out of a friends party without hurting thier feelings?

It's one of my close friend's birthday party tonight, but I don't want to go since it's in a smokey bar and my dh and I have been ttc and I don't know if I'm pregnant or not, it's too soon to test. I really don't want to hurt her feelings. We haven't told anyone that we are ttc, I don't want people to ask me about it if our efforts take a while

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• When my friend thought she was pregnant but wasnt sure, i took her out but she kept on refusing any alcohol or shots. she ordered water with cherries and lemon lol...but you can order a kiddie cocktail if you dont want to be made fun of cause till this day, my sister makes fun of the "water with cherries and lemons" but i dont think my friend realized she had that option.

on the other note...in Minnesota, they banned smoking from inside of bars, everyone has to go outside. if you must go, i would stay away from any smokers but you may have to tell her the truth that you dont know if your pregnant in order to not hurt anyone's feelings
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Do you not want to drink? Cause you could pop in, buy her a drink and say you can't stay because you don't feel very good. Or flat out lie and say you've got food poisoning or a fever or something?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• You could tell her that you hate to miss her party, but you are feeling a bit under the weather and sitting in a smoky bar won't help- in fact it might make you feel sicker. If she is a real and true friend she will understand. I would also offer to make up for missing her party with an alternative like "I still want to celebrate with you, how about we go out to lunch on..x-day... and you can fill me in on the party". That way you can still celebrate with your friend.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• the bar is 40 mins away so it wouldn't make sense just to drop in. I wouldn't drink if I went but I would have to sit in the smokey bar all night and I'm worried about doing that since I could be pregnant
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I just decided to tell her the truth she was fine with it and I don't think she'll tell other people, we are pretty close. We are going to do something else this week
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2011