WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH ALL THOSE GLASS BABY FOOD JARS

HELLO,
I AM A PRE-K TEACHER AND I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT I CAN DO WITH ALL THOSES BABY FOOD JARS, I WAS TRYING TO THINK OF A CRAFT OR A X-MAS GIFT THAT THEY CAN MAKE, OR A CREATIVE WAY THAT I CAN USE THEM IN MY CLASSROOM, ANY SUGGESTIONS.

mellanie1998

Asked by mellanie1998 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• snow globes, I am not sure how they are made, but my ds did that in preschool
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My aunt used to make little wishing wells with us. She used the baby food jars, clothes pins that were taken apart, glue. ribbon, and little fake flowers and a little fake bear for the inside.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I like the snowglobe idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Maracas, bells, stack them up to make a snow man,
    to use them in your classroom, glue the bottom of one jar to the lid of another as tall as you want them and use them for paper clips, tacks, etc.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 11:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you are trying to be crafty, fill them with a small candy like jelly beans or M&M's. Use a festive fabric and ribbon to tie over the top.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 2:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• snow globes - it's been a LONG time since we did this, but I know you can glue plastic figures to the lid and then fill the top with glitter and water. I think we rubber cemented the lids on so they didn't come off.

sand art - buy colored sand at the craft store or dye your own. Let the kids fill jars with patterns of colored sand.

planters - pick up seeds of small plants or grass seed. Let the kids create faces on the jars with googley eyes, foam shapes, felt, yarn, etc. Fill with potting soil and the seeds.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• One more - I'm not sure you can do this at school, but it is another creative use for those old jars. My kids and I sorted broken crayons into groups by color. We filled baby food jars with each group (all the orange in one, red in another, etc.) Then placed the jars in a sauce pan of boiling water. When the crayons were completely melted, we poured the wax into a mini-muffin pan to create our own recycled crayons. You can fill the tin part way and let it set a little and then pour in a second color...a third, etc to create your own multi-colored crayons. You can also use candy molds instead of the muffin tins. I *think* you can melt the wax in the microwave too but I'm not sure how long it takes, etc. maybe the kids could help sort and adults could melt and pour?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• THANKS EVERY ONE THESE WERE WONDERFUL AND CREATIVE I DEAS FOR X MAS I AM GOING TO HAVE THE CHIDREN MAKE SNOW GLOBES AND I AM GOING TO MAKE THE CANDY JARS, I LOVE THE IDEA OF PLANTING SEEDS IN THE JARS AND HAVING THE CHILDREN DECORATE THE OUTSIDE.:)
    mellanie1998

Answer by mellanie1998 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2008