Am I being overprotective?

My so-called BFF and I had a falling out this summer due to me finding out she was cheating on her husband, that she wasn't the person I thought she was and that she expected me to lie for her. Her dd and my dd, who is 5, became best friends and saw each other everyday. This lady sent her dd to spend the summer with her dad and promised my dd a month later that she would be back with her dd, which she never did. My dd has been destroyed over this and is finally starting to move on and make new friends. I have let this mom know what she did to my dd and that it really made me mad. Her basic response was that she didn't care and she needed to live her life the way she wanted to so I have cut off contact with her. Just today I get a message on Yahoo that her dd wants to e-mail mine, which would totally reopen the wound for my dd. Am I wrong for not allowing it? It was just so hard the first time for my dd to lose her friend.

txmom1021

Asked by txmom1021 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Does your daughter still talk about the other child?If she does then emailing may be a good way for them to keep a bit of contact. While the pain she felt is real, kids move on faster than adults, so if she doesn't talk about that girl anymore I wouldn't have her email her.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• They are only 5. I think you are right for not allowing it. If they were older, I'd say let them be friends outside of you and your ex friend, but that's not really an option at that age.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Ask your daughter, if she wants to email her I would let her.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would just have an issue that if the mom of this child obviously has no morals...what is she teaching her daughter....an in turn, what could your daughter learn from her. On the other hand, your daughter is 5...there will be lots of people come and go in life and maybe now is a good time for her to learn about that. I think if you allow the emailing, it is going to put you and your ex-BFF back in each others paths and if you don't want that, you need to just say no to the emails and move on with your life.
    Anonymous