Do you know how much you spend every day on food?

I try to keep it at $10 or less for a family of 4, and it has been pretty easy for me. I am due in a couple months, and the baby will nurse, but I imagine it will become more of a challenge to add one more little mouth and keep it at $10.

Also, what are your tips? I use coupons and have worked to keep a good stock of everything on hand so I can focus on only buying sale items each week (aside from real basics like milk and some produce).

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We're under $10 for 3, but I've never really tried to parse it out that small. The few suggestions I'd make if you want to cut down even more seem kind of mean for someone about to have a baby, but you asked :) Try and do your baking and pastas from scratch. Use something easy like the Artisan in 5 bread recipe. The pasta you can do in bulk and freeze or dry it. Aside from that, try to shift towards less meat or a few more meatless meals per week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• We spend about 12 a meal for 2 adults. I dont buy processed or pre packaged food. I have plenty of rice, can beans and pasta things like that for staples, but I buy fresh natural food when at all possible. Dont use coupons because they are more expensive even with $ off than the store or good value brands. and Iv never seen a coupon for produce or fresh meat
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• roughly $17.60

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i do not... and I should... but I know that it is much more than that.
    Anonymous

• I use coupon, print coupons, download coupons and for a family of five and kids ages 9,7and 6 I spend about 120.00 a month and that is with a savings from kroger of about $80-$100. a week. I go once a week since only time I can shop and catch kroger deals each week since the ads change. I plan dinners around what I do need.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• We spend about $100 a week on groceries for 4 of us. That equates out to about $5 a meal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would venture to say around $14 a day and that is for all 3 meals
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 11:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2011