Which would be a better family dog a jack russell or a chihuahua.

I hear jack russell like to run alot and chihuahuas are very sweet so i like to hear what you think is the better of these two breeds. I plan on adopting one of the two.

kina803

Asked by kina803 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I have a chi/ Jack Russell terrier mix and she is a very sweet dog, she loves my kids but is very bonded to me and likes to know where I am at all times. She's a little skittish of new people, especially kids until she gets to know them. She's small enough (10 pounds) that I can exercise her in the house to burn off the energy with dog toys as well as walks and the pooch park. Overall she's a great dog, a little stubborn and 'emotional' ha ha but very intelligent. She was a rescue dog and we have only had her 3 months so she does amazing considering her background.
    JuliaW

Answer by JuliaW at 12:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think a Jack would be a better choice...
    chiuahuah's are 1 owner dogs... no patience... i think a chi is more likely to bite a child than a jack would..
    I think in general im learning the larger the dog-the better they are with kids.
    We got rid of our chiuahuah :( when my dd was 9mo because he was nipping at her, peeing on her stuff, jealous..4yrs later we got a lab/collie mix & he is amazing with my daughter who can sometime play a bit rough.. Occasionally he will nip at her playfully.. but its sad i trust a 40lb lab/collie more than i do a 10lb chiuahuah to be alone with my dd.. lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It depends on the amount of time you have to exercise the dog and how old your children are. Jack russels are good if you have the time to take them for an hour/hour and a half walk every day, other wise they can get jumpy, nippy, yappy and overall hard to deal with. Yet they are better for younger children because they aren't as fragile. Chihuahuas require less exercise, but still about half an hour to and hour daily, and less energetic. They can, however become protective over one member of the family or very territorial of their favorite snuggle spot if you aren't consistent with disciplining such behaviors. They are very fragile as well and if your kids are small make sure they know not to pick the dog up because they're a breed with a fragile bone structure and you can easily end up in the vet's office for a broken leg treatment if the child drops it or falls while carrying it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would suggest a beagle, pug or Shiba Inu. Whichever breed you go with, just make sure you do your research about what diseases they're prone to (if any), they're temperment, what the recommended training method is, how long they live, etc. Make sure you can handle what the breed entails. I would advise against going to a pet shop. They tend to sell sick, mistreated and overpriced puppies and you'll spend even more money in vet bills trying to get the poor thing feeling up to snuff. Breeders, rescues, and the SPCA are the best way to go, the last two being the least expensive routes.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Jack Russell..Chihuahuas tend to need way more attention than most dogs and the ones I have known get jealous if their person is paying attention to anyone else (another animal, a baby, etc). Not saying they are all like that..but it's just what I have seen.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• jack russels are VERY hyper.. n chihuahua seem to be one owner pets.. my ex had a chihuahua and it used to attack everyone but him.. this seems funyn cuz there small but there crzy lol i would get a lab er somthin like that :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would luv a lab 2 but I want a small pet
    kina803

Comment by kina803 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Jack russels actually. Chihuahua's are normally one person dogs, meaning they bond with one person rather then over a family.

Answer by gemgem at 5:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My co-worker has a (jr) she says that I better put up a fence if I get one lol are they really that bad?
    kina803

Comment by kina803 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• idk if you have thought about these breeds.. pug, beagle, bichon frise, dachsund just a couple more smaller breeds :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011