Is there requirement for the landlord...

Does anyone know if there is a requirement for the landlord to change the carpets in the apartment. A friend of mine lives in that same apartment for 5 years and when she moves in the carpet was not new. By now they look pretty beat up and stained which the cleaners dont really get out anymore as well.
Does the landlord have to change it or does she need to pay for it? Was just wondering about that.

LittleBirdFly

Asked by LittleBirdFly at 5:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• no,just that it be clean

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It depends on where you live some say only need to be cleaned or replaced before moving in and when you move out.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 6:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• has she asked the landlord? hopefully the landlord does something about it best of luck
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• They usually just have a professional come in and clean them but the landlord should pay for it, really just depends on where u live.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• What the landlord HAS to do really depends on where you live. But coming from a landlord, after a tenant has lived in a place for 3 years we ask them when would be a good time to set up an appointment to have the carpets cleaned (ours are always new when they move in) and when would be a good time for us to come repaint especially if they have been good tenants. I would suggest asking the landlord about it and making it a point to remind them you have been there X number of years and have always paid your rent on time and not bugged them all the time about stuff etc.
    Anonymous

• Its our responsibility according to our lease to have the carpets professionally cleaned when we move out. I also did invest in a carpet shampooer to use immediately if a spill occurs so I will not have to fork over any of my security deposit.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Florida
    LittleBirdFly

Comment by LittleBirdFly (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I've looked at apartments that have had DECADES old SHAG carpet in them in the past.....there usually is no requirement other than they be clean.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Each apt. complex/management co./landlord is different...
    In some complexes the carpet is changed out after so many yrs or
    if badly worn from standard living use...
    It really depends on your landlord/complex management/ etc...
    you will have to check with your landlord... BUT... YOU as the tenant
    DO NOT replace the carpet it is not your job to do so...
    I am sure that by checking you can find out what can be done...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I own a couple of rental properties, and when I inherited them, we decided it would be FAR easier, and less expensive in the long run to install and repair the existing hardwood floors throughout!! This way our property management company and the tenants need only wax/polish/clean the hardwood routinely, and select their OWN area rugs/runners, and then upon renewing their lease, or new tenants moving in, the management company we use schedules a professional cleaning/polishing service.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2011